"Ride With Your Mind"

OldandNew

Mar 29, 2007
London
I had the opportunity of a Ride with Your Mind lesson last weekend and wondered if other forum members had been taught this way? For a start, I have very little experience riding in the menage as where I usually ride, all lessons are instructional hacks. There is no indoor or outdoor school. Secondly, I was told to grip with my inner thighs and point my knees towards the horse's withers. Also to keep my lower leg away from the horse unless I was giving a leg aid. And finally, also alien to the way I have been taught, to do long sweeping rises over the horse's neck in trot. It all felt a bit strange but the instructor said it was to keep me "plugged in" at the seatbones. Would be interested in other opinions????

Last edited:
I have a RWYM instructor as does juliecwuk (Moet's owner).

It's a very unusual method but I have had better teaching from my instructor than from anyone else ever. We do a lot of our learning on instructional hacks as well.

What I would say is that if the instructor's ideas or images don't appeal to you, ask her to try something else. RWYM instructors are taught to tailor what they do to their pupil's learning, so she should react to your needs.

I have had some (off horse) direction from an ex RWYM person who still uses much of the ideas in her instruction. There seem to be many different 'methods' out there and I must admit I tend to cherry pick a bit, and just go with the things that resonate with me and make sense. So I use a complete mish mash of techniques that suit me. Probably why I'm such a total riding numpty mind you! :rolleyes:

Stupid me that is what RWYM means.o_O I always read Julies threads on this and I now Moet goes really well with it. Personnel I don't grip with any part of my body but I never ride with my legs wrapped around as like you said I put my legs on when I apply an aid.

Sounds interesting

I got a good explanation of "legs wrapped around" from my RI the other day because it was confusing me. As Ziggy is so round I found it impossible to wrap my legs around him - I would have to have curved legs.

She told me that the bit that was "wrapped" was from knee to knee, and the lower leg should hang loose and only make contact to give an aid, as you say, ObC. That makes perfect sense to me and that's what I do. The more contact there is between me and ZIggy from knee through crotch to knee, the happier he is and the better he goes.

Yes I have a RWYM instructor. I have been having lessons from her for the last few years (though only once a month and a big break during pregnancy/young baby!) , I have a diary of my lessons in the members area.

The reason I started having lessons with her was because I had reached a dead end with my current traditional RI. I felt the RI I was having wasn't looking at me at all as a rider just focusing on Moëts negatives really. The RWYM instructor stopped looking at Moët and focused on my position which needed improvement for sure.

I'm certainly not taught to grip though. I am taught to have a stable contact like J&Z between the knee to knee and not with the lower leg. I have started pilates about 3 months ago and actually I now think of my riding instruction as being similar to my pilates instruction - it's about having a strong core, and being 'active' in your muscles (even though you are still) so basically not sloppy!

Essentially ride with your mind is really a tool to learn, using visualisation techniques. You still get taught the same stuff as by a traditional RI, it's just being explained in a different way, using visualisation terms.

It works for some people, it's not for everyone. I love it, but lately I think I've noticed my RI moving away from RWYM in our lessons, she was teaching me/Moët walk-canter transitions last time, there was no RWYM visualisations used particularly in that lesson to be honest.

Love it. Has made a huge difference for me. You could get the book first (Ride with your mind essentials) to see if it appeals to you. Also keep in mind every isntructor also brings along their own interpretation so just because somebody didn't get it with one person doesn't mean it's a bad appraoch)

I think it was PFB who said on another post similar to this that realising that she needed to drop each hip downward with the swing rather than forward revolutionised how she rode. I only read this yesterday and am looking forward to trying it. Makes sense - my horse has a massive swing to his back end and I often wonder whether I counteract it.

Give it a go - always interesting to try a different approach and sometimes the oddest things click.

I had a couple of lessons with a RWYM instructor on a friends horse and just didn't get on with the way it was taught. I can imagine each instructor is different though, but it wasn't my cup of tea!

I haven't had a lesson with a RWYM instructor, but mine is very much on feel what's happening and don't over think things. I was getting into a fuddle with my half halts changing from Western to English.
I only use my leg for communication, its not "on" her sides all the time. I can wrap it right round but it still doesn't do anything unless I am asking something.
The thing with how you should move on a horse is different or every horse and rider, so my lass with her short legs and wide body, gives me a left and right swing. If she is hollow its an up and down.
My biggest change was lowering my hands after having been taught to have them higher up. Though I do carry them higher in the halter as it effects the line from rein to rope. I just lower for the bit.

newrider.com