Rider/Horse Match in size

Shannon_Clover

Mar 16, 2005
Ireland
www.geriburlesque
If your lower calf and ankle/foot cannot easily touch/squeeze horse side (e.g. wide horse like a cob / rider short legs) would that mean that both horse and rider are not really a match in sizes.

This is what I felt when I was out hunting on a new hire horse (if really affect me cos I could react quick enough to steer him away from thickish overhanging branches in a small forest that I got pulled off by the branches as he kept going straight through them while I was trying to turn him away to move to a clearing side.
Hope it make sense.

Or I didnt give clear signals? :eek:
I did use reins and my body/head to turn to direction I want to go but it didnt work.
Lucky no injury he was sensible and stop even though I was hanging on to rein for fear he would run away.

Last edited:
erm I think its more a case of you are not opening your hips enough or you are gripping with your knees so your lower leg cannot contact the horse's side effectively. I have this problem as well, and although part of it is basic physiology (me being a shortass) part of it is inflexibility and pain when I am in the 'proper' position. I just have to try to put up with the pain and train my muscles bit by bit, but in the meantime in order to ride safely I give aids with my heels (which is really wrong btw) and 'push' from my thigh as well as calf in order that the pony I ride gets the message.

I know these things are wrong though (please don't tell me off for suggesting wrong things anyone else...! :eek:) but this is just what I do in order to remain safe on horseback. Also another thing, proper position is less important on a hack or hunt when you must have control over the horse at all times. In a school situation, yes by all means compromise control in order to have a better position as the horse cannot run anywhere but inside the school, round and round and also RI can help.

I hope that helps :D

Oh gosh, I have this problem as well being only 5' 3" high. My part loan is only 15.1 but she is a cob and wide. I really have to fiddle about to find a comfortable and reasonable position with my lower leg. Lol, sometimes I come off half crippled. I have a real difficulty opening up my hips as well and have sometimes be known to have cramp in the top of my leg. There's a lot to be said being young and supple!

Cobgirl, exactly! Ouch the cramp, hurts like hell! I am 5'2" and ride 14hh becuase it doesn't hurt! Anything bigger and I get cramp lol. :D :D

I am 5'9" (and 128 pounds)and do not like horses that are very big and very rounded at the same time. I feel like i am lost on the horse sitting there.
I ride one TB and can actually round my legs better around her. I am less scared as she is a spook and feel I can control her better. I rode recetnly a lot of peruvian horses and a mustang and felt veeeery comfortable and in control.

S73F2174.jpg

No you don't look anything but great! What a great looking horse, love his muscle tone very athletic! I will have to get my photo done with Mollie!

His coming up to being 29/30 now!

i think thats the only pic i hae of him looking like a proper horse! :D

Thanks for all your posts.

Ah, I wouldnt know about the opening hips, will ask RI next time I go for a lesson before I book a hunt.
But I do always get stiff legs especially around the claves.

Im comfy on a 13.2-14hh.
Any bigger I feel stretched (if wide horse) and not in control.

But I hope to ride bigger horses to gain back confidence and become more skilled with better control.

What a load of clap-trap!

Where do folk get these silly wide sweeping statements from?

Appologies I misread the post.

No your calf and leg don't need to touch the sides of the horse to give clear signals.

I have the opposite problem, my legs hang way below hid sides and my feet and calfs are nowhere near the sides.

Im comfy on a 13.2-14hh.
Any bigger I feel stretched (if wide horse) and not in control.

But I hope to ride bigger horses to gain back confidence and become more skilled with better control.

Surely you've a better chance of developing your skills and confidence on a horse you are comfortable on? Someone who rides a huge great horse is not necessarily a better rider than someone who rides a smaller one.

newrider.com