Rider insurance

Jasper15

Sep 22, 2015
I'm looking for some advice regarding rider insurance. As I cannot ride my boy at the moment, I have been speaking to someone about riding their horse for them. I'm keen to get rider insurance, just to be safe, but I am a bit bamboozled by it all!

I have disregarded BHS as their personal injury cover is rubbish. I'm currently looking at Petplan Equine, but am wondering if there is something out there better? Income protection would be good as well as personal injury, liability etc.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
No idea as I just have BHS, to be honest if I was worried about hurting myself to the extent I needed personal injury and income protection I think I'd give the horse you've been offered a miss.

Jasper15

Sep 22, 2015
The horse I've been offered is a safe old boy, but accidents happen. I wouldn't get sick pay at work if I was off sick due to a horse related injury. I think I'll go with pet plan and then speak to my FA about the income protection.

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Yes, I think rider only insurance is a good idea no matter what horse you're riding. It IS a risk sport after all.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Yes, I think rider only insurance is a good idea no matter what horse you're riding. It IS a risk sport after all.
I get that @joosie and I have it with the BHS membership and yes I agree, the op said that as he isn't riding his own and has been offered another to ride he wanted extra insurance, I just assumed that the new horse was more of a handful than his own. :)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I looked into it, do read the small print, many regular horse insurance companies only cover permenant injury, but some and I think PP is one of them, do cover temp injury and loss of earnings. There are also other companies out there not specifically aimed at riders who will offer cover, I did a thread on here in September/octiber last year about it :)

Jasper15

Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for your replies. My horse is going to be bought back into work this Spring - he is a risk as he has been out of work for about 5 years and is a bit crazy! The horse I have been offered to ride is a safe old soul (or so I have been told!!) but as he belongs to someone else, I thought rider insurance would be a good idea. Income protection is a whole different kettle of fish, I think I am going to try and go for a policy that doesn't exclude horse riding rather than a specific riding one, as if I'm paying for it it may as well cover me for everything else I do too. I definately think I'll need FA advice for that one though.