Rider weight

@carthorse yes I wouldn't expect a medieval or Renaissance horse to size up like a Comtois or a Percheron, but it gives the feel of the type, if you know what I mean. From pictures, I would say some of the European great horses looked very like Percherons, enormously substantial in bone but with that sense of presence and refinement that comes from some hot blooded ancestors. I love Percherons!

Some war horses lived long lives. Alexander's horse Bucephalus carried him into battle on countless occasions, was often wounded and a couple of times stolen (and returned when the thieves realised that Alexander would destroy their entire country one village at a time to get his horse back). He died in his mid twenties on the road to India - Bucephalus, that is, not Alexander, who died in his thirties on the way back... One or two medieval knights kept their warhorses for ten years or more, fighting regularly - they had numerous other horses to ride for everything else, even to the battlefield and back, to keep their destriers fresh. The warhorse only worked for training and in battle. It could break a knight financially to have his horse killed under him. But of course many did die, and were often sorely missed by their owners.

If anyone is interested in the whole medieval warfare thing, including war horses, there's a great series of historical novels by Miles Cameron, a Canadian author: the Chivalry series. It takes a couple of books before the hero is rich enough to have horses, but they are very much a part of the story after that. Mr Cameron is a medieval historian and passionate historical re-enactor and knows what he's talking about, including the bits about horses!

Oh good grief - that's me stuffed then lol. I'm 8st 8 (54k) and Hogan is 419k and built like a tank. So according to some studies I'm too heavy? Excuse me - off to do some aerobics.

This subject is close to my heart as I chose a horse based on my weight. He was by no means what I’d have chosen if I’d been much lighter and I feel we pay for it - all the complications with feet being too big and joint issues.
He is short backed and built like a brick shit house. At 750kgs, he is extremely strong but not built for speed.
I’ve lost three stone so far this year and feel so much better riding him, and am not stopping at that, but even at my largest I knew he could still carry me, but the difference was that I asked very little of him- we went for a one to two mile stroll on flat ground. I’d never make him push himself and would get off and lead if I felt he was tiring or we had a hill to climb up or down.
This subject is not so black and white that there can be a percentage rule. Know your horse, fitness and capabilities.

Haha - too right! Going by some of these stats I've been torturing my 14hh, built for weight NF for the last 24 years! I think my new one has to look over his shoulder to check if I'm on or not!

newrider.com