Riding again over 60 - and feeling the fear!

Hello OP:) I am new to the forum but in the reverse, so-to-speak. I will be 70 this year and have been on family horses since I was two. Paying for my own, non-stop thru life since I was 12. I am down to my last two horses, ages 21 & 22; when they are laid to rest, below the barn with those who have preceded them, it will be the end of a grand Lifetime of horse ownership.

While 22 is no longer considered elderly, it is Senior, therefore you ask some legitimate health questions. Even with a lifetime of owning the same horse(s), it can be difficult to figure out when they are uncomfortable about performing a task and when they are just trying to get out of something:)

To assure my horses (which are lifelong-swim-the-River-and thru-the-woods-trail-horses), are in the best health they can be, given their ages and injuries, I have an equine chiropractor assess them. She is also a DVM and does acupuncture.

Since one horse is seriously insulin resistant and has foundered, she assess them frequently --- big owie on my checkbook but I owe him that for hauling my butt anywhere there wasn't a trail to follow:)

I am also able to watch them in the pasture. Nothing like "at liberty" movement to see if a horse is moving sound or having problems somewhere:)

How long since the mare has had a good physical, including eyes, teeth, some blood work, and a generalized "going over" of the body by a vet to look for soreness or stiffness?

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes standing and staring into the distance can mean eye issues. One of my horses has always stared into the distance and there is nothing wrong with him, lol. The horse with IR will stare and often shake his head --- the vet examined his eyes and declared he has "floaters" in his eyes like many humans get as we age. I empathize with the horse as I have lived with floaters fifteen years or more.

I hope you keep riding and enjoy many more years with this horse:)

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately, the horse's original owner who looks after her the majority of the time is a professional who treats horses backs, and she has not found any signs of pain or injury. However, the mare may well just feel that 20 minutes of schooling is enough, and is quite definite that she does not want to continue.

My latest ride earlier this week, (which was in a school) resulted in a full blown buck - and this was rather unexpected.... she was cantering sedately around a large 20 metre circle having behaved perfectly for 10 or 15 minutes, when I suddenly found the ground rushing towards me! Never even saw or felt it coming. Fortunately the schooling area was made up of a shredded rubber surface, and I have come away with only bruises and stiffness. I climbed back on board and walked and trotted a couple of circuits so as not to finish on a failure, and she behaved fine again. So disappointing.

Sadly, my trust in this mare has gone. I may have over-estimated my competency in that after several years away from horses, I should have found a quiet 14.2hh cob rather than a sassy TBx mare, but as the saying goes "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I think my growing lack of confidence and her increasing assertiveness is now a bad combination. Fortunately her owner will continue to keep her in retirement as she is still very attached to her, but I feel I am going to have to look for another ride elsewhere.

Crikey, I think I would walk away from that as well. Bucking out of joie de vivre is one thing, bucking determinedly to remove your rider is quite another!

Reactions: Judy S
I am sorry about this - but surely dont concentrate on cobs nor imagine they are safer.
You say you are a returning older rider. It can be painful for older riders to side astride wider horses. If we do persist, we may tend to sit crooked, i.e. with one knee further forward that the other - you can picture that it is easier to stride forward than to spread ones legs apart. Good luck in your search.

I am sorry about this - but surely dont concentrate on cobs nor imagine they are safer.
You say you are a returning older rider. It can be painful for older riders to side astride wider horses. If we do persist, we may tend to sit crooked, i.e. with one knee further forward that the other - you can picture that it is easier to stride forward than to spread ones legs apart. Good luck in your search.

My favourite and most comfortable ride in my youth was an Arab X Connemara, but I am now a little heavy for that sort of lightly built breed.
A Shire Cross would suit me having had a 5 year ownership of an Irish Hunter who was a Shire cross and a lovely character he was. It seems as if nobody breeds that sort of horse anymore - it is all about "Sport Horses" and "Warmbloods" and we have lost the sanity of the cold-blooded draught cross-breeds who could carry any member of the family and wouldn't dream of biting or kicking....I even carried a small dog on the back of mine!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I'd take each ad and each description as it comes...don't be put off a horse, or focus on a horse just because of its breed! There are always quiet ones and flighty ones in each breed!

So sorry to read that you came off and in such a bad mannered way. Do keep looking there are some complete stars out there still but their owners now it and hang on to them :)

Reactions: Judy S
I have always had confidence issues when hacking! I own a very sensible horse and I can ride him in the open fields of my yard (250 acres) but I can't cross the road and go into the public hacking we have. I am far too scared of other peoples actions - cars, cycles, dogs etc. Everything that I can't control.

Twice a week we ride out into the fields to mentally unwind and when the ground is suitable we have a good blast. I do long to go proper hacking and I know my horse would excel at sponsored rides and TREC, but we don't do it. I have accepted my limitations now and am very happy doing the things that make me happy.

Hi just wondered if you had thought of trying any of the indoor winter trec? I am the biggest nervous nellie in the world, but i acted as groom for a few years while my daughter competed, and everyone was so friendly and helpful....and mature.....that i actually had ago myself, I have loved it, i didn't even learn to ride till i was 40, (52 now) the winter series is so much fun and so easily doable I would recommend it so much, at least find your local club and go and watch x

Hi just wondered if you had thought of trying any of the indoor winter trec? I am the biggest nervous nellie in the world, but i acted as groom for a few years while my daughter competed, and everyone was so friendly and helpful....and mature.....that i actually had ago myself, I have loved it, i didn't even learn to ride till i was 40, (52 now) the winter series is so much fun and so easily doable I would recommend it so much, at least find your local club and go and watch x

Hi, yes we do winter indoor TREC and versatile TREC in the summer. We always do very well. It seems that Ben is the ultimate hacking horse, even though he never goes hacking!!

Reactions: Kiss This
As an update to the above post; having got over my fall from an ID/TB of 16.2hh in January which gave me a cracked rib and compressed nerve in my hip; I am pleased to say I am now feeling physically back to normal.

To get my confidence back, I have booked a weekly hack at a trekking stable 20mins from me here on Dartmoor. The lovely owners at Cholwell have looked after me, but not molly-coddled me; they have given me a lovely solid and sensible grey gelding of 15.2hh to hack out on with other riders of a similar age, and we have had several short trots and canters, initially with me perched stiffly on board and hanging on to the martingale strap for dear life, but now I have got used to him and trust him, and have a much more relaxed position. He too feels more relaxed each time I ride; I think he is beginning to remember me! I know he looks for his polo after each hack.

For my birthday, I have been given a voucher for a 3 hour ride on a Clydesdale; I'm looking forward to this, and hope I will be fit and brave enough to really enjoy the ride. In a year or two down the line when we retire, I plan to have my own horse again, so these are all useful steps along the road to being the rider I was in my youth!

Reactions: Cortrasna
As an update to the above post; having got over my fall from an ID/TB of 16.2hh in January which gave me a cracked rib and compressed nerve in my hip; I am pleased to say I am now feeling physically back to normal.

To get my confidence back, I have booked a weekly hack at a trekking stable 20mins from me here on Dartmoor. The lovely owners at Cholwell have looked after me, but not molly-coddled me; they have given me a lovely solid and sensible grey gelding of 15.2hh to hack out on with other riders of a similar age, and we have had several short trots and canters, initially with me perched stiffly on board and hanging on to the martingale strap for dear life, but now I have got used to him and trust him, and have a much more relaxed position. He too feels more relaxed each time I ride; I think he is beginning to remember me! I know he looks for his polo after each hack.

For my birthday, I have been given a voucher for a 3 hour ride on a Clydesdale; I'm looking forward to this, and hope I will be fit and brave enough to really enjoy the ride. In a year or two down the line when we retire, I plan to have my own horse again, so these are all useful steps along the road to being the rider I was in my youth!
i too have lost so much confidence from my youth and also cracked two ribs a few months ago from a simple tumble that in my youth wouldnt have even bruised me my horse spooked and got his feet mixed up and fell on his knees but i am a firm beleiver that you have to have the right horse underneath you the wrong horse will just take your confidence away but with the right one you will gain confidence good luck in finding that right horse hes out there somewhere waitng for you

I have no memory these days so forgive me if I posted this before. I always wear a body protector to hack. Usually in lessons too. But mostly I hack and the occasional fall is inevitable. I have never broken a rib or anything else in any of my falls. It is almost 2 years since I last fell but one needs sensible protection. My OH who has more fragile bones wore an air vest over his b.p
Safety clothing has changed massively since most of you rode as kids. We started riding late in life and have benefitted from bps and heavy duty helmets

A Shire Cross would suit me having had a 5 year ownership of an Irish Hunter who was a Shire cross and a lovely character he was.

I so agree with this: I have a 22 year old Shire/Welsh Cob mare on loan, who is the most sensible and comfortable horse ever, but she will happily go at a pace if you ask. My RI agrees that this is a good cross for older, more wary new riders like me. The Welsh blood gives her a bouncy trot, which is the only downside for my arthritic joints, but other than that she is fab. The first time I went to an organised open hill ride I could feel her asking me if it was okay to canter, but she kept herself reined in and wouldn't actually go until I said yes. That feeling of control was wonderful. Love her to bits, she has made a middle-aged woman very happy!

Hi everyone loves am new on here and l'm looking for help finding a riding school that caters for the larger lady. Novice is possibly how l would describe my level of riding at the moment.
I live near Halifax and l'm open to suggestions e.g help mucking out to gain experience etc.
My age is 54 and l have mobility issues so need time to get on and off a horse. However lam not going to let this stop me finding somewhere to ride.

I so agree with this: I have a 22 year old Shire/Welsh Cob mare on loan, who is the most sensible and comfortable horse ever, but she will happily go at a pace if you ask. My RI agrees that this is a good cross for older, more wary new riders like me. The Welsh blood gives her a bouncy trot, which is the only downside for my arthritic joints, but other than that she is fab. The first time I went to an organised open hill ride I could feel her asking me if it was okay to canter, but she kept herself reined in and wouldn't actually go until I said yes. That feeling of control was wonderful. Love her to bits, she has made a middle-aged woman very happy!

Lucky lucky you this would be my dream come true, l am very envious of you beautiful relationship with your horse

Hi everyone loves am new on here and l'm looking for help finding a riding school that caters for the larger lady.
My age is 54 and l have mobility issues so need time to get on and off a horse. However lam not going to let this stop me finding somewhere to ride.

Welcome to NR which has a good record for helping older people to ride. We are not a large forum so you may need to searcher wider for school recommendations.
Either on a much larger forum or by looking at lists of schools recognised by BHS or the British Association of Riding Schools.
Most schools do have an upper weight limit so it is as well to find out in advance. Look at the websites and you will see the limits.
It isnt that most schools dont cater for larger people, it is the economics of it - weight carrying, larger horses cost more to feed and to keep.

More important for older riders, is your mounting and dismounting question, because schools do vary. Some have very large mounting platforms for disabled riders.
Others have other raised structures from which to get on. I have once used a small set of steps (mini step ladder) at a dressage school where the horses were huge. But again, it is as well to sort this out before going for a lesson.
If you need a high platform for dismounting as well - it is also important to mention that. I am still able to dismount to the ground, but like many older people here, I get off with my foot in the stirrup. Over all the years I have only had one riding place object.
It might be worth your while consulting the Riding for the Disabled - and asking if any of the local schools they use might be able to provide for your mounting and dismounting. The time taken is not a problem really as it is likely to come out of your lesson time for which you have paid. But I myself did feel very pressured starting to ride at a school which gave half hour lessons. 45 minutes is better, or even an hour for older people who need to take their time to get on and loosen up.
With riding schools, one can shop around to find a horse and a teacher who are both right for one. Good luck.

Welcome to NR which has a good record for helping older people to ride. We are not a large forum so you may need to searcher wider for school recommendations.
Either on a much larger forum or by looking at lists of schools recognised by BHS or the British Association of Riding Schools.
Most schools do have an upper weight limit so it is as well to find out in advance. Look at the websites and you will see the limits.
It isnt that most schools dont cater for larger people, it is the economics of it - weight carrying, larger horses cost more to feed and to keep.

More important for older riders, is your mounting and dismounting question, because schools do vary. Some have very large mounting platforms for disabled riders.
Others have other raised structures from which to get on. I have once used a small set of steps (mini step ladder) at a dressage school where the horses were huge. But again, it is as well to sort this out before going for a lesson.
If you need a high platform for dismounting as well - it is also important to mention that. I am still able to dismount to the ground, but like many older people here, I get off with my foot in the stirrup. Over all the years I have only had one riding place object.
It might be worth your while consulting the Riding for the Disabled - and asking if any of the local schools they use might be able to provide for your mounting and dismounting. The time taken is not a problem really as it is likely to come out of your lesson time for which you have paid. But I myself did feel very pressured starting to ride at a school which gave half hour lessons. 45 minutes is better, or even an hour for older people who need to take their time to get on and loosen up.
With riding schools, one can shop around to find a horse and a teacher who are both right for one. Good luck.
Thank you for all that advice. It has given me things to ask and think about

newrider.com