Riding boots for beginners

chantedsnicker

Self diagnosed cowgirl
Oct 7, 2011
Herts, UK
Possibly being a little premature here as I've only had one lesson so far (I guess most of you probably know that since I've gone on and on about it all weekend) :redface: but I've been looking at Western style riding boots...

However, the ones I've seen are:
a) a tad on the expensive side for someone just starting out.
b) difficult to tell whether they are proper riding boots or fashion boots.

I suppose what I'm after is some general advice on getting my first pair or riding boots - I've always wanted a pair of 'cowboy' boots so Western style appeals but is there much of a difference between the english and western styles in terms of using them to ride?

Are there any particular makes at the cheaper end of the price range I should be looking at? Any good websites which mighht give me an idea? etc.

I probably need to invest in a hat as well...

I read this thread yesterday and looked for it again this morning as I thought it was an interesting question and wanted to see what the replies were. However, I find you have no replies! It must be too hard a question!

I'm afraid I can't give you any answers either (hence why I was interested in the replies). I've never ridden in Western boots and never seen anyone wearing them with jods either - I think they might look a bit odd with jods as they are so wide around the top, but they look good with jeans.

Sorry can't help, I hope you find what you're looking for :)

I'm afraid I can't give you any answers either (hence why I was interested in the replies). I've never ridden in Western boots and never seen anyone wearing them with jods either - I think they might look a bit odd with jods as they are so wide around the top, but they look good with jeans.

Sorry can't help, I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Thanks anyway Bodshi :) I'm learning western so no jods for me ;) That's the reason I was asking about Western boots specifically because I wasn't sure if there was a real difference beyond decoration that is.

Hopefully there a few western riders who will be able to help, though I suspect I'm probably the only one here learning this way round!

There are a couple of people on here who ride western I believe Xander is?

As I understand the cost of western boots purchased from a riding store/online will be better quality then those purchased from a fashion store.

A while ago the 'english riding' look was fashionable again and you could purchase 'jod style trousers and boots' from the high street but from the ones I saw they are not made for the riggers of regular riding and literally fell apart at the seems.

The thing I find with riding boots, although they look fab, they do restrict your ankle and lower leg movement into being one aid rather than anything particularly subtle, imho.

I like riding in joddie boots and then can move far more around the horse without the hard leather restricting my ankles.

:ninja:

I don't think there is any difference in the function of riding boots whether english or western style other then the look of course. I use short jodhpur boots for both, sometimes with chaps.

You certainly need a hard hat for any sort of riding. Dont let anyone tempt you to get on a horse without one - not even Western and not even in USA.
As for boots - I have a nice pair of Ariat Western boots - I wear them round the yard in summer as they have hard toes, but I never ride in them.
Some Western riding centres in USA stipulate that you mustn't ride in thicker rubber soles - may be they get caught in the stirrup. So take care when choosing.

Both OH and I ride Western in Ariat terrain boots. (in Rideaway catalogue) When we go to the States we take just one pair which can be used for both mountain walking and riding. I like it that they lace up and stay in place on my foot, which trad. Western boots dont.

Other brands have copied this and Ariat have a waterproof range as well - but take care of the soles. Not all are intended for riding.
And you need a heel for Western riding - just as for UK - to prevent your foot sliding forward through the stirrup.

Ariat is an American brand which happens to fit us - we have normal Ariat boots for general UK riding. They last for years -never had to replace any.

My own experience of buying boots when I started was to buy cheap jod books from a local shop - there are plenty around at under £50. Mine were leather not plastic, but they only lasted a year. A false economy. So when my OH started to ride, I bought him Ariat and (for snow) Mountain Horse right from the start.

The best way to find what you should be wearing is to look and see what other people are wearing at the school where you ride. They will know the UK Western retailers too.

Just a word about decorated Western boots - many horse people say that the jeans of serious horse people hang outside the boots - otherwise bits of straw etc get into the boots. You could look on YouTube and see if this is true.
But like me, my daughter and her family bought Western boots in the USA - as a holiday souvenir and ended up selling them on e-bay because Western boots are not something you can casually wear walking round in the UK! And they arent practical for walking round in open country either.

I use some Ariat Western Terrain boots as my everyday boots, and have some Ariat roper boots as Show boots, and then Ariat Heritage western boots as going out boots :giggle:

I think for everyday standard riding, and in most show classes, roper boots are the norm. They have a rounded toe, a smooth sole and a slight heel.
The 'fancy' boots are more for show than riding in. The sizing can be a little difficult to get used to on westenr boots.
Justin boots are a decent make and not massivly expensive :)

I use some Ariat Western Terrain boots as my everyday boots, and have some Ariat roper boots as Show boots, and then Ariat Heritage western boots as going out boots :giggle:

I think for everyday standard riding, and in most show classes, roper boots are the norm. They have a rounded toe, a smooth sole and a slight heel.
The 'fancy' boots are more for show than riding in. The sizing can be a little difficult to get used to on westenr boots.
Justin boots are a decent make and not massivly expensive :)

I want some Ariat Ropers, I ride in Ariat Jod boots or Toggi extremes :smoke:

I like riding in joddie boots and then can move far more around the horse without the hard leather restricting my ankles.

:ninja:

Depends on the boots! My nice leather boots didn't need any breaking in and don't restrict my movement at all.

The only reason I'm considering some new riding boots is that the smooth sole makes it difficult to mount from the ground out hacking (there is a padlocked gate we need to go though that requires you to dismount, even on a pony!)

My first riding boots were Shires jod boots - which I bought half chaps to wear with - otherwise I looked like Max Wall gone wrong............hahahahaa.
The next lot I bought were Mountain Horse - High Riders - they are a great boot, suitable for riding and yard work. They wear well and I like the "feel" of them in the stirrups, they make me feel nice and secure. Since then though my boot buying history is legendary!!!! Mr T has long since given up on my addiction...........I must have tried everything from Ariats to Sergio Grasso's. I managed to kill quite a few along the way too - either from over zealous use or simply that they wear out. Am an odd shape though, I have small feet at a size 4 (5 at a pinch) but I need a short and wide fitting.

Ah, whoops, only just read you are learning Western. I'd go for some funky Western stylie ones. Saw some in Derby House a bit back, they looked super, they were Ariat. They'd look fab with jeans. Don't you find jeans uncomfy?! I love jods - haven't got the legs for them - but comfort rules!!!!

I would recommend getting some normal jodhpur boots and half chaps for 4 reasons:
1) Comfort. They require very little breaking in and your ankle can move completely freely.
2) Cost. I got both my jodhpur boots and half chaps for under £40
3) Can be worn with jodhpurs!! Jeans seem an absolute nightmare to ride in. Whenever I have ridden Western I have stayed away from jeans - I just don't understand how someone can find them comfortable?? On wide horse they won't stretch, and the seams surely will rub your leg??
4) You can wear boots and chaps to ride any style. They won't be a problem to ride Western in but will also be suitable should you go hacking or have lessons somewhere else. Avoids having to fork out again for a different pair of boots!

But if you have your heart set on Western style, I would check out www.equestrianclearance.co.uk and take a look at what Ariat boots they have in stock :)

Depends what jeans you ride in. UK fashion jeans may be hopeless but USA inexpensive jeans e.g. Wranglers are designed for riding. They may not be skin tight or high fashion, but I wear them all the time.

If one is in the saddle all day, one is told it is a good idea (both sexes) to wear women's nylon tights underneath and that stops rubbing. But I have never ridden for more than 3 hours.

Or in the UK you can buy jean type trousers designed for riding. Robinson's used to make them.

Western riders tend to wear full chaps and not half chaps - but I have never ridden Western in half chaps anyway - only too delighted to be free of the things.
Surely one of the pleasures of riding Western is that you get on your horse in your ordinary comfortable working clothes and boots - And if you are a new rider that means not having to shell out for special riding clothes.

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you so much for all the incredibly helpful replies. :bounce:

First, let me put Skib's mind at rest and state that I would never get on a horse without a hat. My comment did come across as a bit of an after thought however my riding stables have ones I can borrow until I get one. Plus I have tracked down a couple of tack shops in my local area so plan to visit on Sunday to help me work out what size I need. :happy:

Boots were more the focus because I rode in trainers for my first lesson :yellowcarded: In my defense though, i would have worn my walking boots but discovered I'd left them in the Lake District :redcarded: I should have them back in time for my next lesson.

I've been looking around based on your comments and have my eye on a pair of Western style Ariat boots on Ebay though if I miss out on them I'll probably go for the lace-up kind as they're probably a bit more appropriate for what I need. I can always buy myself a fancy Western pair for Saturday nights! :giggle:

I have Mountain Horse boots, these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Horse-Mountain-Peak-Riding-Boot-/200807788959?var=#vi-content . They are really comfy and supportive, they could probably be used for both western and english riding. They are very much like walking boots/trainers but they have the riding sole. Have had mine a year and still look and feel new. Don't know if MH are any good for you but they have loads of different boots, might be worth a look on their website :)

I had a few of my early lessons wearing my walking boots - they were okay, I am lazy though and don't "do" laces........hehehehee

Went out last weekend to get myself a riding hat and saw a pair of boots while I was at the shop. Not any of the makes you've all recommended. But they were there and lovely and I couldn't resist - So I now own a pair of woof wear scope riding boots.

I'm loving the Ariat boots though and they're certainly going to be an investment in the future :smile:

And, if I can ever justify to buy them, these will be mine! http://www.classiccollectionuk.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=3767

Had an email from Equestrian Clearance today and they have a sale on ariats so might be worth a look? I got my Pro Babys in California so am horrified by the prices of ariats over here .... And i have never ridden in them so can't tell you how good they are for that but they are very comfortable and my OH really likes his Ropers..

Justin boots are worth a look on ebay, tack shops etc sell them alongside Ariat in the US but Justin seemed a bit cheaper?

Thanks for the suggestion, I finally got round to looking on the equestrianclearance website today and they do ahve lots of Western style Ariat boots. Probably can't afford (or justify) buying another pair right now but I'll keep my eye open!

newrider.com