Riding Camp

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
I'm not sure where to put this, so here it is :)

I've just been to my second riding camp, but my first one with my own horse.

The adventure began on Thursday. Armed with a big list I collected things from all over the place and stacked them in the lorry. 3 bales of hay and a couple of bags of feed ensured that Harvey wouldn't go hungry, but I realised at the last minute there was no food for me and I had to shoot down to the local shop (I only needed food for Thursday night). It was Harvey's first time travelling alone and he loaded and travelled well for the 75 minute trip. We were first there and Harvey was soon in his temporary stable. Later on I was out in the field with a beer in one hand and Harvey grazing in the other.

On the agenda for Friday was flatwork and polework. Harvey was very unsettled and clingy and that came through in his flatwork, but he did settle and work for me in the end. After the flatwork the lady from Dengie was there with the scales so I got Harvey weighed (638kg). She condition scored him as 2.75 - he will reach 3 when he muscles up a bit. The polework was with William Blane who has taught me before and went well. Harvey for a change didn't try to jump the poles, or kick them all over the place. The day finished off with some (non ridden) pilates and a welcome meal.

Saturday was polework. It tool me a while to get Harvey focussed - he was concentrating on everything apart from the jumps, but he did end up working nicely. In the afternoon we had XC technique with Marie Ryan. Although we were only jumping 60cm Harvey had a good go at unseating me when he stopped dead at a rustic jump. I have it on video and I don't think he even saw the jump until a stride out. A welcome back massage and more food finished off Saturday.

Sunday started with a SJ course walk with William Blane which was very interesting. He talked us though how the course was built and the thinking behind it rather than how to ride it. This was followed by riding the course bit by bit before jumping it as a course. Harvey went really well and was so proud of him.

The last lesson was on the XC course. We did various small fences at trot then moved on to a step up and step down. After that we played in the water and for the first time Harvey trotted in for me. We also jumped some ditches which I hadn't done before. At the end as Harvey was slightly more advanced that some of the other horses we were sent off to jump a few 70cm fences which he did nicely.

Harvey virtually loaded himself to go home - I think he had had enough!

Ready to go
i-jcvTh6C-L.jpg

Harvey doesn't do personal space!
i-jS8ppNh-L.jpg

What's this?
i-Ch6SQPm-L.jpg

I don't want to do flatwork!
i-cPKcxKF-L.jpg

Weigh in
i-DSnSJTJ-L.jpg

Pole Work
i-ttnGjcv-L.jpg

Pony Time :)
i-cBkp2dJ-L.jpg

Clingy Pony
i-tw9NksV-L.jpg

Grid Work
i-FnqJ9W7-L.jpg

XC
i-qJfQwBm-L.jpg

The herd gathered to welcome Harvey home
i-D6p9J2d-L.jpg

Fabulous report. Sounds like you had a great time. I am off to camp in 4 weeks and can't wait. There is nothing better than spending 2 days solid with you horse.

Reactions: GaryB
Brilliant photos thanks for sharing them all :) looks like you both had a great time!

He's such a handsome horse! Fab photos, glad you enjoyed it. I'd love to do something like this one day!

Looks good. Yard mate just came back from a camp at Lincomb at the weekend. Sounds like your classes were the same sequence as hers. Nice weekend for it. Glad Harvey behaved :)

Looks good. Yard mate just came back from a camp at Lincomb at the weekend. Sounds like your classes were the same sequence as hers. Nice weekend for it. Glad Harvey behaved :)

@domane I was at Lincomb too :)

Last edited:
Ha! Did you see Dottie..... the Knabstrupper?

Screenshot_20170628-100648-600x860.jpg

She belongs to YM but she lent her to Kelly for the camp. Only Kelly has another commitment on Sat so YM drove over to Lincomb and did the SJ lesson Sat am with Dottie. Confused? :p

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Great pics.... and good to see that they cater for all abilities. You never know, Gary.....one day - if I can overcome my jumping phobia!!!

newrider.com