Riding for ladies - 1891 / riding skirt anyone?

I'm not a fashion person at all, but I love the elegant dress of that period, so much nicer than my scruffy urchin self :D
I must be similar. I recall going to a show where I hacked there.
People were just looking at me and I felt very self conscious. I don't show and I figured I had made a big turnout faux pas.
It turns out that people didn't recognise me all scrubbed up and smart!! :D :eek:

I wonder if we aren't actually scruffy per se, it's because we've added colour to the clothing? I have purple jodphurs and I don't like the colour but others say they look nice. So if I fall off I will look nice. One must plop gracefully ;)

I had that at a work function once, my bosses boss who I had seen daily for about 3 years stood in the line next to me for food and introduced himself to me :D apparently I was unrecognizable in a dress as he never knew I had legs :p :D

I just wear jods and Tshirts and my coats are clean/tidy, but it's not the elegance of smart blouses, jackets, hats etc. no matter what you do.

I had that at a work function once, my bosses boss who I had seen daily for about 3 years stood in the line next to me for food and introduced himself to me :D apparently I was unrecognizable in a dress as he never knew I had legs :p :D

I just wear jods and Tshirts and my coats are clean/tidy, but it's not the elegance of smart blouses, jackets, hats etc. no matter what you do.
I don't own a dress or a skirt.
Now a riding skirt seems more appealing in case I go somewhere I would like to have one.
Hum.

Now a riding skirt seems more appealing in case I go somewhere I would like to have one.
Hum.

I don't own a dress or skirt either. Well I still have my wedding dress - but don't think I'll be wearing it again (unless it could be dyed black or deep purple and converted into a ball gown - lol for a ball I will never go to......................!!!)

I don't own a dress or skirt either.
really? I rarely wear them, but get roped into occasional black tie events for work so I have a couple of evening gowns as anything less would be highly questioned :eek: and a couple of cocktail type dresses for the less formal ones :oops: and a couple of sun dresses for after I'm done with the neds, showered and cooling off at home when it's really hot :)

Reactions: Trewsers
really? I rarely wear them, but get roped into occasional black tie events for work so I have a couple of evening gowns as anything less would be highly questioned :eek: and a couple of cocktail type dresses for the less formal ones :oops: and a couple of sun dresses for after I'm done with the neds, showered and cooling off at home when it's really hot :)

I used to have lots of full length dresses. But that was when mr t and me used to get taken off on exotic work related trips and nights out. I’ve gained a bit of girth lol good job I didn’t keep them! I used to love a nice sundress tho. Hahaha never hot enough for those up here!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
Following on from the above the weather hasn't exactly been playing fair has it!

I did a test using my winter coat as the guinea pig. How does it hang or not and how much fabric is there to it.
I have never been completely happy with overtrousers and I am selling those.

We've never tried a long coat before as I have been concerned about the flapping. She can do that herself already, we don't need an incentive. :rolleyes:

I simply got on, had a quick hohum and some fiddling and settled to the enjoy the ride. Then wondered whether I had enough fabric for it to sit behind the cantle, I dont know it pulls the velcro attached to your legs.
Then I wondered if it would sit over the pommel.
It does but I think that's at the expense of how it sits overall.
When the wind got up I had two wings at one point because it lifted it up and inside out. The cob only looked out of her left eye, but it annoyed me!
I do have another idea though re covering the pommel and it might sit better next time round.

PicsArt_11-05-05.04.38.jpg

Following on from the above the weather hasn't exactly been playing fair has it!

I did a test using my winter coat as the guinea pig. How does it hang or not and how much fabric is there to it.
I have never been completely happy with overtrousers and I am selling those.

We've never tried a long coat before as I have been concerned about the flapping. She can do that herself already, we don't need an incentive. :rolleyes:

I simply got on, had a quick hohum and some fiddling and settled to the enjoy the ride. Then wondered whether I had enough fabric for it to sit behind the cantle, I dont know it pulls the velcro attached to your legs.
Then I wondered if it would sit over the pommel.
It does but I think that's at the expense of how it sits overall.
When the wind got up I had two wings at one point because it lifted it up and inside out. The cob only looked out of her left eye, but it annoyed me!
I do have another idea though re covering the pommel and it might sit better next time round.

View attachment 100529
I find this with my long coat, I brought a size bigger to see if that gave more fabric, which it kind of does. It reaches around and covers my knees, but if I do rising trot it all moves and knees and bum get wet. I gave up on the leg straps a long time ago, they're useless. If it is really piddling down and I want to do more than walk and stay dry I still need waterproof trousers under it. That's one of the reasons I want a cloak, a really big one that will easily cover right around Jess bum, keeping me and her dry (I hate putting a rug on a wet horse) and that has enough material to stay over my knees and possibly some sort of storm flap across the front so it stays over the pommel, I haven't seen anyone making what I want so I'll have to get around to making it at some point :) My Ben Hur one wasn't far off, size wise.

Rather than a long coat for riding in the rain and snow, what about a jumpsuit type thing like a ski suit? I know someone on here years ago used to have one for yard duties for warmth more than anything else. Just a thought.

My over trousers are a bit like that in bulk. Too warm for me when I ride and can't get my legs round.

Slightly cheated with the skirt and bought one.
Is anyone else going to have some fun with playing around with a skirt.

PicsArt_12-29-06.19.57.jpg

Last edited:
I find this with my long coat, I brought a size bigger to see if that gave more fabric, which it kind of does. It reaches around and covers my knees, but if I do rising trot it all moves and knees and bum get wet. I gave up on the leg straps a long time ago, they're useless. If it is really piddling down and I want to do more than walk and stay dry I still need waterproof trousers under it. That's one of the reasons I want a cloak, a really big one that will easily cover right around Jess bum, keeping me and her dry (I hate putting a rug on a wet horse) and that has enough material to stay over my knees and possibly some sort of storm flap across the front so it stays over the pommel, I haven't seen anyone making what I want so I'll have to get around to making it at some point :) My Ben Hur one wasn't far off, size wise.
Now I have my straps fitted to the seam at the base and it attaches to my boots.
That way it stays folded over. I think with more use the fabric will learn to crease in that spot.
Mine is a walking long coat not ridden specific.

Maybe you need a one man tent to give you enough fabric to initially play with cheap?
I decided on the design of skirt I wanted- non bum covering and bought something.

Reactions: Jessey
I’ve just re read most of this @newforest and have enjoyed it a second time, just wondering when are you reading the schooling book you mentioned a page or so back?
As for riding skirt, maybe when I retire I’ll have a bash at making one, I would actually like a riding coat but for every day not for riding in, one of those beautiful elegant ones though, like a frock coat.

I’ve just re read most of this @newforest and have enjoyed it a second time, just wondering when are you reading the schooling book you mentioned a page or so back?
As for riding skirt, maybe when I retire I’ll have a bash at making one, I would actually like a riding coat but for every day not for riding in, one of those beautiful elegant ones though, like a frock coat.
It's here.

I know this is a few years ago that I did this write up.
Does anyone want the book to read, before its off to the charity shop?

The London MET police used to wear capes when riding in the rain, but looking at pics on line now, I think that has changed and they wear close fitting hi viz.
I also think that the numbers have reduced since Covid. We used to see Police horses here as there is a local stable and the horses would walk this way to exercise on the commons. I think now the mounted police use lorries and dont use our roads. The traffic-slowing humps and paving and raised mini roundabouts at each junction now make the residential roads tricky for horses.

newrider.com