Riding Friends

JodieB

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, just getting back into riding after lockdowns. Looking for recommendations for ridi g schools in North Somerset.

I am a novice older rider (55), walk and trot, working trotting on the diagonal.

Also looking for older beginners in the area to maybe have a chat with and maybe share the off lesson.

You are very welcome here. I was an older beginner too. And my OH likewise, a few years later in order to trail ride in USA. Sadly I never met another.

But while I was learning and seeming to make no progress in the first year or two, my OH said that all that mattered was saddle time. Just to ride once or twice every week and one would end up a rider.

Welcome to the forum :) . Sorry, not your area, but good luck finding a horsey pal. 30 years ago I took up riding again,and went to a horsemanship course, where I met my now best friend. We've both bought horses, ridden together, had horsey holidays together - you name it. I hope you have the same luck.

Good to see you here. Sorry I'm not in your area (but we are a similar age). Looking forward to hearing about your riding adventures :)

Unfortunately we are spread far and wide, you might be better looking on local Facebook groups for people/places in your area. Feel free to chat about your journey here though :D

Hi Jodie, I am in your area ish! Bristol. Similar age, and am returning to riding as a novice/intermediate..learning to walk, trot, stop, start, turn atm..I'd be interested in possibly meeting for a share ride but ive not found it that easy to find stables that have availability.Where do you ride? I am having 121 lessons at Cottage Stables in Hambrook, S Glos..they might be bale to provide a shared lesson sometime in future...I would really like to go out for a hack in future with another/some other horses, but nothing too fast..

Reactions: Huggy
Hi Kate, I'm actually based in Weston super Mare and have just discovered that Urchinwood Manor, based just off the A370 before Congresbury are doing an adult beginner group on a Friday evening at 6.30pm which I can get to after work. It's very reasonably priced I think £26 for 45 mins. I have just been tonight and there were 3 of us doing walk and trot exercises. Have booked in for the next couple of weeks.

I know Hambrook quite well as I was brought up in Winterborne. Are you currently having private lessons?

Hi Jodie, good to hear from you. Urchinwood looks like a good place.Are you having lessons on one of their horses or your own? I am not a horse owner, and Im having 121( private) lessons in Hambrook on Tues afternoons. I would like to expand my horsey activity and knowledge and I'd like to get to know another/some other riders, and Id like to join a group lesson. Are you on Face book or watsapp for further chat? Good luck with your lessons, Kate PS are you a dog owner ? I am , maybe could meet for a dog walk/horse chat?

Hi Jodie, good to hear from you. Urchinwood looks like a good place.Are you having lessons on one of their horses or your own? I am not a horse owner, and Im having 121( private) lessons in Hambrook on Tues afternoons. I would like to expand my horsey activity and knowledge and I'd like to get to know another/some other riders, and Id like to join a group lesson. Are you on Face book or watsapp for further chat? Good luck with your lessons, Kate PS are you a dog owner ? I am , maybe could meet for a dog walk/horse chat?
Hi Kate, no I don't own a horse. Riding is just something I have always wanted to do but never had the time or the money before. I too am keen to get more general horse knowledge. A lot of stables do 'horse management sessions'. I know Avon Riding Centre, which is opposite Blaze Castle offer these on a Tuesday afternoon. I was looking into these as I was going to cut my hours at work and would have been able to get there but sadly as we are so busy I have to carry on working full time for now.

I do have two dogs so that may be an idea when the weather's a bit better!

Also have a look at Tynings, they do hacking and I am thinking of going there some time.

I am on Facebook, it's Jodie Moore.

Hi Kate, no I don't own a horse. Riding is just something I have always wanted to do but never had the time or the money before. I too am keen to get more general horse knowledge. A lot of stables do 'horse management sessions'. I know Avon Riding Centre, which is opposite Blaze Castle offer these on a Tuesday afternoon. I was looking into these as I was going to cut my hours at work and would have been able to get there but sadly as we are so busy I have to carry on working full time for now.

I do have two dogs so that may be an idea when the weather's a bit better!

Also have a look at Tynings, they do hacking and I am thinking of going there some time.

I am on Facebook, it's Jodie Moore.
Hi Jodie, I am Kate Duggan on FB..my picture is of me with reddish/brownish /longish hair with my dog,partner and the Severn Bridge in my background..ive looked for you on FB but there are alot of Jodie Moores! Perhaps you could look for me on FB or give me more info re your FB profile- would be great to have a supportive chat re horse stuff..like you, horse riding is something ive always wanted to do, having done it a bit as a kid and really loving it then..thanks for the info re Avon and Tynings btw

@JodieB , @Kate , just to let you know that if you want to exchange private information you can send each other private messages through the forum. I've done that when I need someone's email or home address, or a link to their Facebook profile :)

Reactions: carthorse
Yes, you start a conversation. I am not sure a Conversation is entirely private. The mods might see it. For sensitive things you might choose to use a conversation here to exchange email addresses. By sensitive I mean things like bank details.

Will have a look at that. My other dream for this year is go online of the Free Rein Learn to Ride holidays.

newrider.com