Riding going downhill, Please help

ponies-R-gr8!!!

Me and a fat ginger pony!
Jul 27, 2006
Northants UK
I feel like my riding is going really downhill again. Even though i've been at college for 2 years and been riding for 3 my rising trot seems to have gone really heavy, if that makes sense? I rise up but when i land i dont land lightly. I don't notice it myself but recently my friend has and it is affecting how my pony is going as well.
So does anyone have any tips on landing lightly in rising trot?
Makes me sound awful doesn't it :(

Firstly don't get so downhearted I bet its not as bad as you think. When you are rising, try and think of tipping your hips forward to rock your weight over your knees, rather than rising straight up. You shoudl let the horses movement throw you slightly up and forward then lower yourseld back.
Most people are taught to rise up and down but this really isn't right - its hard work for you and your horse if you are over rising. You shouldn't really move out of the saddle much at all. Try doing rising trot with no stirrups - this makes you rock rather than rise as you have nothing to brace against!

Is your leg tipped too far forward? this will make it much harder work to do rising trot lightly. might not be that but just an idea.

when you rise you should almost let the horse's movement push you into it, and use your stomach muscles when you're sitting back into the saddle.

don't be disheartened :) i'm sure it's not as bad as you think.

newrider.com