Riding holidays - your recommendations please!

CT said:
There used to be the Equestrian Centre nr Wrexham but I heard that it was being sold. Not sure if it is still an EC or not? Many people seemed to have very positive experiences there.

No, it was sold last June to the Equine Ethology lot :mad: and is VERY expensive even if you do agree with what they do there .....

Wrexham EC was fantastic for a riding holiday, I miss it loads.

Sorry - my mistake. I'm very pleased though that it wasn't Wellington that Bay Mare was talking about - I really felt quite "down" yesterday thinking that my happy memories weren't justified!

;<)

happy is kept about half a mile away from wheal buller - so if you go make sure you come and pay us a visit (that goes for you too trewsers)
:D

never been there myself im afraid. i dont know why, i just went to another nearby riding centre, although i am planning to take H up there sometime. they do a lot of lessons, their the kind of place that would cater for your needs, im sure of you wanted lots of lessons they would be willing to oblige

i think they do lessons, beach/BBQ rides, little competitions etc, for children and adults, and they seem to have a MASSSSIVE selection of horses (they have well over 60 horses, although not all are kept there at a time)

they seem a nice bunch, when we pass them on hacks, they are always very courteous, and wait while happy has a madness fit with the sight of all those horses. :D

oh yeah, and they have a hot tub :D :D :D

let me know if you go, and if you see me and happs on the tramlines, wave :D

i can also confirm that the hacking is wonderful, especially the beach tracks. its all connected by an old tramline, so lots of flat straight places for a good gallop.

throuroughly recommend it :)

Last edited:
:) I am in the middle of finding a ranching holiday in canada !! I want to go to them all!! If anyone has recommendations for area/ranch please do let me know!:) Its hard chosing between them!

I went to Wheal buller in the summer and personally I wasnt that impressed.I went on the kids riding holiday so the adult ones may be different ut I was not impressed by the teaching or the kindness of the instructors.I found that i didnt learn anything.In one jumping lesson I fell off twice because my leg was swinging back when I went into jumping position.When i fell I was shouted at for being so rubbish and made to do it again.She did not try to help me do it better.
On the third day i was there one of the horses stood on my foot , I was in agony but i was told to not be such a baby and shut up.The next day my little toe was purple and my nail had gone black.I couldnt ride because my toe had swelled up so much that i couldnt get my boot on.
The food was good and the horses were nice though.I expect the staff would treat adults better though.

thats awful lucy :mad: dont actually know what the staff are like because ive never been there.

actually, when i mentioned to my current riding instructer about wb, she made a kind of grimacing face. but i dont really think that i should slag them off on a public forum

one thing they do do though, which i think is dangerous, is let young children ride and lead 2+ horses on the roads. that always gets me a bit mad

however, most people who have been on their holidays seem to enjoy them. i could always go and have a lesson for you est, and report back :D :D

Cherokee - what a shame you didn't enjoy Wheal B. I've never been, but I always thought it looked a nice place and of course the surrounding countryside looks fab. Thats a bit mean of them shouting at you for falling off!!! Bet your toe hurt too!! Happiness - you lucky person living in that part of the world - its gorgeous! OH and I go to Kugger (Kennack Sands) twice a year - its lovely there, we usually hack out at Newton Livery stables - its a lovely place, they have some fab horses. I rode a 16.3hh shire x called Duchess last time - what a girl!!!!!:D

Oh Darn! I just got the brochure from Wheal B, and was going to phone and book myself a week tomorrow, but now Cherokee has made me think twice...!

Of course I'm an adult, and would shout back if an instructor shouted at me, but not sure that I want to have to!

It does look wonderful, and it's quite affordable too... has anyone else had any experience there? Good or bad?!

He he :D What a good idea Happiness!

@ Cherokee - sounds awful :( Here's hoping you just caught them on a bad week. Not that it is any excuse! Hope your toe didn't take too long to heal :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll be checking all suggestions out asap. Further ideas always welcome! :D

seriously, i'll go and have a lesson there. i've wanted to anyway, just out of curiosity. :)

make sure you come and have a spin on H when your down :)

We went to Ivesley Equestrian Centre last February at it was brilliant, we both still talking about it now ... 2 lessons and a hack each day ... full board accomodation in their house, was made to feel very welcome ... just wish I was going again this year :) anyone want to volunteer to look after my kids so I can have a fun week riding in Durham?? pleaseeee??

Anyone had any experience of the Wellow Park Stables? I know they do riding holidays and have B&B accomodation .. never been myself but its not too far away from here ... just wondered that all.

xx

Hi everyone,

glad bubblious joined in because I can bore for Scotland about how good Ivesley is. I still ride at Ivesley and love it, and would imagine it wuld be great for a holiday, as the house is on site and the instructors are fab. Lovely horses and great facilities.

I love the look of murthwaite green and it won an award locally for training. I have also been to scottish equi which I thought was good too, but accom was a bit ?. Recently I have been to hollin equest (which I found on ebay!) and have booked again. Somerby in Leics also appeals and like hollin equest you can design your own mix.

All a mix of hacking and lessons. I also quite like the look of Kimmerston in Northumberland

Sorry forgot to add....

Wellow Park was where Cait and I got started..... they are fairly well booked up because Center Parcs books them out all the time. I phoned last year when Wrexham closed down to see if they would take us and they couldn't even offer a place on their waiting list.....

But it is nice...

Anne

bubblious said:
Anyone had any experience of the Wellow Park Stables? I know they do riding holidays and have B&B accomodation .. never been myself but its not too far away from here ... just wondered that all.

xx

I had some lessons there and they were pretty good, difficult to get in, though, unless you are very flexible time wise. As AAH said, they are booked out by Center Parcs most of the time :(

newrider.com