Riding - how does it "really" affect the horse.

I just posted the following link on another thread but I thought I'd post it on it's own as I think some of you enlightened peeps on here may find it interesting. It goes along vaguely similar lines that I have thought for a long time though he has probably taken it to an extreme.

For those of you who are familiar with Alexander Nevzorov, you will appreciate the conviction of his opinions (to put politely!) but get past that and it is obvious that he has the very best interests of his horses at heart.

http://www.horseyard.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118945

It's going to take a while to read and digest this.
My thoughts are that the horse is not designed to be ridden and we in fact made for food. We are not designed to sit on them but did as a way of getting more food quicker in very early years. We are still thought of predator and with best will in the world we dont know if the horse lives in fear of us. We have them in fields they cant run far can they. I'm from nh point in trying to be the leader, but wonder if horse thinks yes ok cos you might eat me!

Fantastic reading ! I really enjoyed that and the fact that for a change, it made total sense as it portrayed principles which go hand in hand with my own ideas.

He so eloquently puts why our RI's go to great lengths to help the riders achieve a good sitting trot. perhaps if more RI's went into detail about missplaced weight syndrome it may help the novice rider to become more determind in learning her sitting trot.

Interesting to see someone finally has the guts to stand up and diss the western & cavalry type saddles. I've never really been happy with the huge differences between these very rigid saddles & the bio mechanics of a horses back, perhaps its the different style of ridding (no posting) that has graced them with exclusion from the *bad design/style/fit* saddle club.

But alas, I cannot see how a great scale of over all riding improvements can be achieved until to riders are really well educated right from the start about the different shapes of saddles, the seats achieved & the weight distribution in relation to depth of seat, has been fully understood thus allowing the rider to understand the dangers of constantly using the GP cut of saddles on their horses & the inability to achieve a true seat in such saddle. How can you achieve true seat in something with is shaped to achieve the exact opposite.

I'll stop.. I could go on for hrs ! (but id end up getting the sack from OH and the Kids for not having the dinner ready)

Thank you for posting this link FreeformUK, it was fascinating, if very sad. Where does this leave the sport of endurance, in particular, if fifteen minutes is all a horse can take of carrying a rider without suffering pain or discomfort?

I dismount frequently, and often walk for short periods (how tired I get of the 'Why aren't you riding?' remark) - but according to this article, not often enough. I also ride in a sidepull, and put a lot of thought into the tack I use and its effects on my beloved pony.

It really makes you think doesn't it? I actually ride more than I really want to, especially with the spring grass coming through, to keep my chubby fit and slim. Maybe I should be doing more long-reining, or breaking her to drive. I don't want to believe that I am causing her discomfort, let alone pain, and certainly don't appear to be doing so, but if this writer has all his facts straight, and he certainly seems to have done the research, then I must be.

But alas, I cannot see how a great scale of over all riding improvements can be achieved until to riders are really well educated right from the start about the different shapes of saddles, the seats achieved & the weight distribution in relation to depth of seat, has been fully understood thus allowing the rider to understand the dangers of constantly using the GP cut of saddles on their horses & the inability to achieve a true seat in such saddle. How can you achieve true seat in something with is shaped to achieve the exact opposite.

i'm treeless and i don't like the gp style of saddle, not for riding 10miles in it anyway

i don't like the gp style of saddle, not for riding 10miles in it anyway[/QUOTE]

Numb bumb and backache come to mind ! I've just never been able to sit right in one, its impossible & ive seen came across anyone with a really good seat in one either.

I only read the first part of the article... I can see where the chap is coming from, but his discussion of basic physiology excludes the fact that human and horse touch and pain sensors adapt to consistent touch or pain, and do not send signals to the brain about this if it is at a constant level. In the same way that a drop of hot water is felt as pain, whereas if you have your hand in a bath and change the temp from warm to the same hotness as the drop, then it doesnt feel too hot.

I also think that this is a very simplistic way of looking at how the horse experiences riding. My horse, although potentially not loving having my weight on his back, thoroughly enjoys going fast and jumping, and will do so of his own accord if left to his own devices, for longer than 15minutes. There are more factors than just the pressure on the back to consider...

It really makes you think doesn't it? I actually ride more than I really want to, especially with the spring grass coming through, to keep my chubby fit and slim. Maybe I should be doing more long-reining, or breaking her to drive. I don't want to believe that I am causing her discomfort, let alone pain, and certainly don't appear to be doing so, but if this writer has all his facts straight, and he certainly seems to have done the research, then I must be.

Surely if the rider is discussing discomfort caused by pressure, then breaking your horse to drive, teaching it to pull a weighty carriage, is not better?

newrider.com