Riding in a Fly Rug?

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
We are having terrible issues with the awful Crab Flies that we get down here in the New Forest.

Arnie HATES them with a vengance and it is totally spoiling hacking out as he gets very upset indeed. It is so out of character for him, and I totally understand that they are hateful things as they are extermely tough and just cling on and crawl about and it is this that he detests - am sure I would too!

Local horses have grown up with them and generally accept them but those that are brought in from out of the area can sometimes have a severe reaction.

Am trying all sorts in the fly repellant department but thinking locally is that Crab Flies take no notice of any known repellant.

I wondering about fly rugs. Don't need one for in the field, it is only hacking out that is a problem.

I came across this one:

http://www.kmeliteproducts.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=fp004

from Cashel which is in 3 parts and designed for riding. Has anyone tried it or any other fly rug?

Am hoping Arns will get more used to the horrible crabs as the summer goes on but there is no sign of it as yet.

I haven't tried it, though considered it. My worry is that a fly can get underneath and you have more of a problem.

I use Dynamite as a fly spray, worked for us last year, can be used on humans as well.

My concerns would be the same as newforest's that there are a lot of open parts on the fly rug,and is very open at the bottom,and fly could esily get in and get trapped under it causing much worse problems.

Do other horses have such major problems with the flies?? Seems extreme,I know flies irritate horses,but sounds like he is getting more upset than the norm?? Assuming others have had the same issues,is there nothing they have tried that has worked that you could try?? What about dettol diluted to first aid strength and sparayed on,I have found this very effective as a fly spray.

Hope you manage to work something out hun:)

I know what you mean about the flies getting under. There is a belly section that goes with this rug too though.

A freind whos horse really hated them says she used to hack her out in a Boett.

As regards others getting upset, local horses and of course those born and bred in the Forest are mostly OK but horses that have come in from elsewhere like Arns well some settle and some don't.

I know of a couple who aren't hacked out at all in crab fly season (which is April - Sep) as their reactions were so extereme and at least 2 more who have been sold on to other locations because they couldn't cope at all.

It is a very particualr problem to our area, these flies are found nowhere else in the country and they are just so tough.

At the moment I am using Barricade, which has an active ingredient of cypermethrin, same as Deosect. It works on normal flies, but not on the crab flies. Having asked on local forums and my vet I can't find any product that really works so far.

When Walter moved here from hertfordshire the 1st summer he was abit arsey to say the least, he soon got used to them but even now occasionaly he will get one some where that I cant reach to get it off and have a hissey fit!! The best thing Ive found was hacking with someone else she would squat my flys and I would do hers!!!

I think we have used every fly spray going the one I'm currently using is super plus fly reppellent and it helps alittle bit more than the others I've used.:)

I always rode Rosie in a ride on fly rug - by HKM, its navy with red binding and was about £30 off ebay. REALLY made the difference with her temperament when out hacking, without it she would get joggy and try to bolt for home. She wears a rug 24/7 cos of her sweetitch so shes super sensitive to flies when not wearing it. have attached a pic showing what its like, cant seem to find them anymore though.

Attachments

• IMG_2747 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2747 - Copy.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 18
Hope your knee is feeling better today too :)

Sadly after todays episode, my poor sharer has found that the product no longer works :( It did last year ! :mad: :mad:

She found they were still bothering SuperCob and he got quite agitated about them and became a SuperBrat. Not his fault as they are flaming horrible things :mad: But he became that agitated that she found it hard to hold him in his new milder bit.

She's found/heard of a own type of fly spray that some people in the forest have made up (all natural ingrediants) and have had some success with, like Arns my boy gets more irritated when they get underneath and around his sheath. He just shivers lots when they land on his stomach or behind the rider.

Anyway we're going to give this home made fly spray a go and see what the outcome of that is *fingers crossed*

If you end up buying this fly rug and have some success with it, I might be tempted to get it as well if I can't find any success with any sprays.

I got the same rug as Juliecwuk off ebay (although I was stupid enough to pick the white one and now we look like we are going jousting:eek:). I only need it for about 6 weeks of the year but its great. Its been well worth while and its made him much much happier )(albeit a bit stupid looking;))

newrider.com