Riding in no hat ON A ROAD

rianne21

Mummy to Trooper & Rosie
Dec 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
:mad: Ok so on way back from the train station this morning, we passed a girl on an arab, on the busy road that goes to all the factories along it, and has a LOT of lorries using it mon-sun. The girl was trotting the arab round the blind corner, whilst not wearing a hat. :mad: I am sorry but that made me sooo cross. Is that not illegal???? :eek:

my friend said "wow she must really trust that mare!" and i thought... i wouldn't have even done that with pascal and i trusted her with my life. You can trust the horse all u want, but they are still animals and have instincts and if a lorry had have come round fast or something, and the horse had have spooked .. of even if not and there jhad have been a freak accident for any reason..that girl didnt give herself a chance by not wearing a hat :mad:

Last edited:
:O
bloody hell
i totally agree though
horses are naturally wild animals and there VERY spooky and unpredictable
i wouldnt even ride rags in the arena with no hat on !

Well pascal wasn't spooky at all, she was trained not to be but even still i respected the fact she was an animal and a very large 1 at that and has instincts and is unpredictible like u say!

i mean people dnt wear hats on their own yardfs that is up to them.. but on a public road, i am sorry i have to say it is wrong. In my eyes at least

i'll never got out on a road without a hat on even when i'm in the school i always wear my hat.
These days it to dangerous not to wear one, as much as you trust your horse its doesnt mean there isnt something out there that could easiely spook the hell out of your horse and course you to come off and bang your head hard.
This is why hat where made.
I dont think there is a law stating that you have to wear your hat while out on a public road but i honestly think there should be one made.

i'll never got out on a road without a hat on even when i'm in the school i always wear my hat.
These days it to dangerous not to wear one, as much as you trust your horse its doesnt mean there isnt something out there that could easiely spook the hell out of your horse and course you to come off and bang your head hard.
This is why hat where made.
I dont think there is a law stating that you have to wear your hat while out on a public road but i honestly think there should be one made.

i totally agree... it should law definately. Whilst we know a hat may not save your life, it may well save you from serious injury. I mean.. being left brain damaged...when all som1 had to was put on a hat and do it up..

i rode a few times with out a hat but look back and think how bloody stupid i was, i fallen off a few times and luckily i had my hat on as once my head hit a small rock and my hat cracked so u can only imagine what would have happened to my head!

I agree that i`m sure it is not compulsoury to wear a hat, but IMO anyone who had half a brain would not even think about getting on a horse without a hat, bit like driving a car without a seatbelt - better to stay longer in this life than arrive early in the next, people like that give all us guys a bad name, sorry to rant but is something i feel very strongly about:mad:

The legal age for hats on roads is fourteen. Over fourteen, it's your choice.
At the end of the day, I value my head too much not to wear a hat, and it's also included in my insurance policy that if I am riding without suitable headgear, I'm not covered.
What drives me crazy is people who wear a hat but don't do up their chinstrap - where on earth is the point? :confused: If you come off, the hat will fly off your head, so you're no safer than you would be without a hat at all :rolleyes:

It's not just the mare spooking, it's the driver who doesn't see them or takes a bend too fast and plows into them.

Did they have any hi-viz on, bdw?

Who are we to judge other people's decisions, and try and tell them to live their life a different way to their own choosing. It wasn't affecting you in any way, so i don't personally see why you have reason to judge it. There could be a perfectly liable excuse for her actions (not that she should be expected to come up with one) but she is not here to defend herself, or she could be, you never know, so I don't see what the point of this thread is other than to start a mass off debate which we've seen numerous amounts of time ending up nowhere.

well thats the thing.
she could of fallen off after you saw her?!
like you said a lorry might of come round later on and spooked her horse
then she would of learnt a lesson..
if my mum found out i had been riding either in the arena or out on hack with out a hat on she would kill me !

It's a personal choice whether or not to wear a crash cap and I must admit, I don't usually wear one while riding at home. :eek:

However, I do think it should be made law that riders wear them while on a public road, bikers have to wear them - so why not horse riders?????

When I rode Skippy to my wedding I didnt wear a hat (although I had a very attractive veil on:)). The fact that I had a wedding dress and high heels on didnt bother me but it felt soooo strange not having a hat on. I did occasionally pop on Skippy hatless but it never felt right and I would never have hacked out without it.

I would never sit on Arnie without a hat and I dont let anyone have shots without hats. The children who ride the ponies know the rule is no hat no horse and if they refuse to wear one they are not allowed to sit on the ponies:D

newrider.com