Riding in pregnancy

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Did you?

Now I know baba is all fine, growing well and healthy I've started riding more. Also more mobile as morning sickness and tiredness are easing. I'd always said I'd ride until I got too big but had a bit of a freak out the other week when Mr Fidget (aka Toby) was pratting about when mounting and then threw a huge buck before my backside hit the saddle! After that he was super (he hasn't been ridden since June due to allergy this summer). Kez has looked after me beautifully. I don't ride alone, only with hubby present. And I stick to gentle walk/trot, hacking and pole work. My midwife and consultant haven't said no as it's something my body is used to.

I guess this is a very emotive subject.

For me, as I was having IVF babies, I could not get my head around anything apart from safety at all times. No matter what. I gave up many things because of what was going thru' my head.

Although I respect your choices, I may not agree with them but that is for you to decide.

Reactions: orbvalley
Personally for me if I had a horse I trusted and I was comfortable And felt safe I would ride until I was unable to.

Just my feelings in it from someone who hasn’t had a baby but has always though what if :)

Reactions: eventerbabe
I didn’t ride at all through either of my pregnancies. The ‘what if’ factors were too strong. But it is a personal choice, I know plenty of people who rode up to 8 months.

I'm not pregnant, but I can't imagine wanting to ride through pregnancy. Especially when there is so much o
stuff to do on the ground.

But, just my personal opinion.

If medical professionals are happy for you to, then the rest is up to you.

I wasn't riding when I had my children, but I'm pretty sure I would have carried on riding while my bump was small enough. I didn't stop doing anything else, including dry slope skiing. My doctor and midwife said it was fine to carry on as normal. When my bump got bigger I think I would have been too uncomfortable, as bending was a problem. On number 3 child I was going to the gym regularly and carried on when I got pregnant, but I had a bleed at 18 weeks, at which point I stopped going (and I've never been back since :rolleyes: ). The bleed turned out to be totally unrelated (it was caused by a low lying placenta and kept happening throughout the pregnancy) but as the doctor pointed out, I would have blamed myself and always wondered if it was my fault, if anything had happened.

YO's daughter rode while she was pregnant, but she swapped to a western saddle for comfort. Unfortunately one day the saddle slipped and she came off. Her and baby were completely unharmed, but it spooked her and she didn't ride any more after that.

I think it's very much a matter of personal choice and taking advice from your doctor and midwife.

The thing about riding is that there is always a risk. In a normal pregnancy that risk is unlikely to change. So whether you choose to ride may just be a personal choice, rather than a medical one.
There are women who would be really miserable without riding and mental health in pregnancy is a significant factor. As is physical fitness.
Those who do ride in pregnancy might like a reminder (which came to NR via my obstetrician daughter) that one can get and use support for the bump - useful too for those driving (horses) over rough ground, Best to ask your mid wife.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Skib, you have hit the nail on the head! I would be miserable seeing the horses but not being able to get out there and do things with them. Midwife and consultant absolutely happy as its not a new thing for me. I didn't know about bump support, will look in to that. Although will be a wee bit until I need that.

Reactions: Kite_Rider and MrC
I rode until I was about 5 months - when I fell off my totally bombproof, trust worthy cob. Freak accident involving loose dogs and me being stupid leaning over to try and shoo one of them away just as horse spun.

Landed on my bum not my bump and all was fine but was grounded afterwards. If it were solely my choice, I'd have gotten back on the next day.

If you feel able to ride and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy and you trust our horse then go for it.

newrider.com