Riding in the wind!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I hate this wind! It won't go away and is due to be windy for days.

Ben is back out overnight and is only in very light work anyway as he is still lame. I am recovering my shattered confidence and we have had some really positive rides in the school and I am working up to riding out in the fields. But the wind is ruining my plans. As he is now back out for 14 hours overnight, he doesn't need to be ridden everyday and I find I keep making excuses not to ride. I feel like a complete wuss when I decide that it's too windy to walk him out, but I need to be aware of my confidence levels and it would only take a flying plastic bag to produce a spook which would really knock me. It is so frustrating as I used to ride him in all weathers.

Is the wind putting anyone else off riding?

I haven't ridden in almost a month, with my work trip and all the prep that took, then got home and played catch up, moved a friends horse to mine in a hurry and then got flu so been out of action for almost a week with that. If I were well enough to ride I wouldn't in these winds, Jess is fine with it (she was backed on a wind farm!) but I won't go in the forest alone when it's windy and it hardly seems worth tacking up to spend 20 minutes around the housing estate.

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth it. Little Un is a bold hack but even he gets upset at things blowing towards him at head height, and I don't intend to upset him when there's no need. I saw him trot up the field yesterday & stagger sideways as a gust hit him - that's too windy for my liking!

Reactions: Huggy
I certainly don't think it's worth risking your confidence over, especially as Ben doesn't need riding. I understand your frustration, but really although it might not seem like it now, it's not a big deal and this windy weather will all blow over :oops: in a few days - not much in the grand scheme of things. Don't give yourself such a hard time :)

I won't hack Harvey in high winds. I have ridden him in the school but he was a bit of a handful...

I am an all weather baby. I love snow rain sunshine whatever. But I absolutely hate wind. It just bugs me. It messes with my hair, you never get warm, it’s just bloody annoying.
I have no concerns about riding in it, it’s actually proven to make life more interesting on my otherwise very dull flipo rides (he’s just too sensible these days lol!) but because I just despise wind in general, I don’t tend to ride as much as normal. Although on saying that, I rode today, and flipo just stood transfixed as a plastic bag wafted across a ploughed field towards us. He was fascinated, but no other reaction. Yawn.

Nope. I won't ride in the wind. Another one with fragile confidence so I have ridden once in a fortnight so far. I'm hoping things will calm down after the weekend.

To be honest, I've been doing some extra cleaning jobs which have taken up some time but earned me a little extra cash. Plus Jen (YM) only lifted the travelling ban last night. Gracie had her 6 month flu booster and her annual teeth rasp today as well.

I rode this morning in the wind. I decided not to go up over the top. Even though I'm half way up the hill. I went down the hill instead and did a lovely road hack.
At the weekend we went over the top and it was blowing a hooley so it made for an interesting ride.

Our lock down is not lifted until the 20 so it makes a nice excuse. I have ridden in the indoor on Monday but was in hospital yesterday and to much pain today so not ridden

From someone who's had a tree fall on them whilst riding I'd say never feel bad about not getting on board when its windy!! I'll go in the school as its pretty sheltered, never hack though.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Some people say they have an ‘interesting ride’ if they ride is the wind. I call that a bad ride. I like my pony to go forward at whatever speed I ask him to until I say stop. Not jig and jog sideways along the road, occasionally jumping from one side to the other, or completely disappearing from underneath me for a moment. So no, I don’t ride in the wind.
It’s not even possible to ride in the school in high winds as it’s bordered with trees, so apart from branches coming off, there is also the worry that two branches will rub against each other and make the most horrendous screeching noise which upsets the horses.
This happened last time I rode in the wind. Had a prior ‘Tom and jerry’ Moment where I swear Mylo spooked so badly that I was left hanging mid air before I realised where he was and caught up with him.

Very windy here, I carry on as normal and just avoid the woods. But I am riding Lottie who isn't remotely bothered, we had a wheelie bin blowing towards us in the wind as we went through the village last night, she didn't bat an eyelid. Different horse might be a different answer.

Nah you're not alone. I would ride from my old yard in the wind, (I think you visited that one?) as it had forest access, but if I were still riding I would be wary as the yard I am now there is a fair bit of roadwork to the forest. I've even cancelled mini Ruskii's riding lessons as it won't bring any benefit to riding as everyone will be worried about the wind. Not worth it, and it will settle again next week.

newrider.com