Riding in winter?

Sep 16, 2004
Land of Leeds
Visit site
What are you doing with your horses? Hacking? Schooling? I want to get M out and about, but its always dark :(. Im thinking for the days i go at 3 ill ride him before i muck out...

Any of you lucky enough to hack every day? What do you prefer to do during the winter?

Quoz gets ridden or driven about twice a week in the winter. Its just a case of wrapping up in the good old waterproofs! I dont mind it as long as its not really icey or windy (you know them monsters always come out in the wind!:eek: )We are hoping to get our school built this comming year though so hopefully by next winter we will be able to ride after work as well.

i like to ride in the very early morning (in the menage), or hacking if it is getting light (off road, i don't want to die thank you very much.)
some decent groundwork, doing NH and T-Team, loose schooling on the flat/over jumps or poles, or lunging, make a good 30 mins or so well spent.

I am in the fortunate position of no longer working. So I am able to ride pretty much when I want. Where I keep my mare we have miles and miles of off road tracks too. We don't have a school only a paddock so my only awkward times are when I want to ride in the paddock and then it's dependant on the weather and what dtate the ground is in. Organising my lessons is a bit of a nightmare though.

Pride gets ridden 6 times a week. On saturday and sunday he goes hacking and sometimes another day, depending on what his sharer is working.
When i get a lift from school i can be there for 3pm but he's usually in the field and i'm ment to wait until all the other owners are there to bring in, as if the others see one horse leave, they all stand round the gate waiting and end up fighting :rolleyes:

I've not ridden Red for a month come this weekend!! :(

I am going to try and ride him in the morning when the others get turned out, get back turn him back out, muck out and do yard duties etc (takes about an hour, hour and half) and then go for lunch at home, come back down ride again and then bring them all in.

It's the only way I can get around the dark nights and school etc. But i'm loving the extra handling groundwork etc! :D

Silver currently gets two days off (uni) and normally one weekend day off as well (thats due to the weather at the moment!). Otherwise I can get there before it gets dark and try to hack at least once, have my ridden lesson and do a bit of groundwork. I'm stressed at the moment so I try not to ride as he is easily influenced. :rolleyes: It doesn't help that mum has had an awful bug and hasn't been able to ride for about a month and now I think I'm coming down with it :(

I'm not a fair weather rider, willing to ride at dusk (at a push) out on brightly lit roads, and have a lit school to work in too. Wind doesn't bother me, although perhaps it should given I'm riding bareback.

I have to try and do something with Daffy as often as possible, he's in most of the time now and gets stiff, even with everything I do to prevent that. For me the problem is more after I've mucked out, can I really be bothered? Answer is no most of the time. Must give myself a kick up the backside.

I ride during my lunches fom college (which is ace) and she has the weekends off (i work 9 till 5.30) and have about 2 jumping lessons a week after college in the floodlit outdoor (we have a lit indoor but i dont like riding in it. the roof is really low) so me and the wurl just get wet :D

I race back from school on my bike to go muck out Fred, do his haynet and then quickly lunge him round school, then bike back in the pouring rain and wind! :eek: the things we do for horses! yesterday I was nearly blown off my bike the winds were that strong - my mum can't say I'm not dedicated enough! hehe :D

We don't do too badly.

I finish work at lunchtime on a Friday so hack out Friday afternoon, Sat and Sun morning.

I have a lovely lady who shares my horse 2 days a week -she doesn't work at all so she gets 2 hacks.

That just leaves 2 days a week where we normally have a quick schooling session in the arena (in the wind/rain/dark/cold :rolleyes: )

If you can get to the yard for 3, you might manage a quick hack before it gets too dark.

I usually only get to ride at weekends at the moment, have no car at the moment (broken) so cant ride during the week.

i hack out during the day while the kids are at school/nursery.
jay gets ridden 4 days a week as i cant ride fri/sat/sun, fizz gets ridden fri/sat/ sun:D

I try and ride in the school at least every other day, but once I go back to Uni this might change. I fit hacking in as and when I can. I usually like to go when someone else is though :eek:

This year, i seem to have done masses of schooling! i'm restricted to weekends only because of work commitments, and it's pitch black up here by 3.30pm anyway ( and i've no school, with or without lights :( ). But i've my last lesson of the year this weekend so after that i'm going to try and get more hacking done, also some groundwork. doesn't really bother me, i have work to do with kez whether it's dark, windy, wet, whatever.

During the week i use the school as its always dark when i arrive, I lunge, ride, long rein and free school.

I make the most of my weekends and hack both days.

If i take a holiday i make sure i try and hack then also.

newrider.com