Riding Instructor OR Racing Groom

laura kevin

Tyza, my share horse
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know whether to be a riding instructor or to be a groom for racehorses. Has anyone done either of these jobs and can you tell me what you think of them?

ridinginstructor is probly better in the long run as they treat grooms like cr*p (i read somewhere recently that there is a very high suicide rate amongst racing grooms) and its very male dominated. at least, once youre a qualified instructor you could teach freelance or something.

Julia

ps: how is mr kevin?

To be a qualified instructor, you'll need to take your BHS stage 1 and 2 exams - both the ridden & care sections.

Beofre you take the ridden part of stage 2 - you'll need to take your R&RS exam. After passing your stage 2, you can then take the PTT exam which is a teaching exam. Then you'll need to take your stage 3 & gain your hours to become a fully fledged BHSAI. Not forgetting first aid course, child protection course and a CRB clearance.

Oh plus the small fact of cost for taking the exams & being a gold member of the BHS. Under 21's - you're looking at about £35 per year membership; and stage 1's complete (so riding and care) exam fee is just over £100

Hope this helps

I would be a RI i think you would get more enjoyment out of it then being a groom although both a good jobs, but i would go for the RI! :)

I personnaly would be a riding instructor, i was in the same boat as you, and i have taken the route of instructor.
Grooms are mainly treated like c**p, atleast if you went in to instructing you could vary your job like go freelance or be an instructor at a riding school etc.

xXx

teapot said:
Blimey :eek: wasn't £130 when I took mine. Do I dare look at the cost of stage 2

I took mine in July, and I think it goes up every year! I will be taking my Stage 2 next year hopefully, and haven't looked at the price yet either, it will put me off doing it. Am going to look now actually... £150, then nearly £200 for the Stage 3. I'd better start saving...

I'm afraid I don't have experience of either, but I would think that being an RI would be more rewarding if you are a "people person", if you know what I mean.

What is it with the horse insustry?? To train your horse you have to be rich (parelli, NH and bloody carrot sticks etc), to train others you have to be rich (£200 to sit your bum in a seat and for the pen and paper), GRRRRR.

Hi, I have worked in racing for the past 10 years and I am also a freelance instructor. I chose to work in racing because the pay and conditions are generally better than those in the equine industry. I have travelled the world doing through my job and have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it! However I also love teaching too!

newrider.com