Riding Instructors...

Laura4543

May 20, 2019
Is it ok to have a lesson with someone else?

I have been riding for about a year now. I don't really know how I am doing, I am told that I am improving but sometimes I am not convinced!
I think because I am not 12 (I am not 40, 50, 60, 70 either though - not that it matters!!) people are not quite sure how to advise me.

I am happy with my current instructor however a visiting one comes every so often and has some experience riding in more prestigious events etc.

I don't want to upset my current instructor (who is great) and was wondering if you think it would be undiplomatic to have the odd lesson with someone else?

Are you having lessons on your own horse or on a riding school one? if it's the former then 100% absolutely yes do have lessons with others, if it is the latter then you would have to ask the horse owner if they allow their horses to be used with an outside instructor, often their insurance doesn't cover you if a member of their staff isn't present so there maybe real reasons why that can't happen. In either case someone having the occasional lesson elsewhere is par for the course and shouldn't upset an instructor.

Reactions: Huggy
Hello, I am using a riding school's horse. The school invite the instructor so I don't think it will be an issue hopefully to borrow a horse!

Hello, I am using a riding school's horse. The school invite the instructor so I don't think it will be an issue hopefully to borrow a horse!
Do they invite them for other liveries or for riding school pupils? Sometimes big yards that have both students and private owners bring in outside instructors for the latter but not necessarily the students so def ask and you may have to pay for both the hire of the horse and for the lesson separately so check carefully on that too :)

Reactions: Huggy
Jessey Good point! Thank you I should look into this....I am guessing tha I may have to hire the horse too but hopefully not :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com