Riding Just Got More Expensive

So today my riding instructor advised me to buy a pair of long boots.
At the moment I wear a short pair of jodhpur boots.

I have been riding once occasionally twice for about a year. I am not sure how much progress I am making.

I love shopping and spending money (!) so I looked online but it seems that boots cost as much as a small car.
There are some very beautiful options. But I have never seen these lovely boots first hand because I live in London where tack shops and
the opportunity to see these types of products are few and far between.

So I know I can buy them online but I refuse to spend this type of money without seeing them first and trying every size and width etc,

So two questions:

A) What brand and price range should I consider- I want to buy a good quality boot but given that I can’t even canter I want to spend an appropriate amount of money.

B) What brand of boots are the top riders wearing? I.e Shane Breen, Ben Meyer etc.
This is a similar thread to your other one.
I may be inclined to look for another school if you are not even cantering yet!

Is there something wrong with your current footwear?
Is there something wrong with you? I mean from a medical point of view etc.
Why the attraction to copy the top riders, this isn't suddenly going to turn you into a showjumper? They will likely do what the rest us do and use things that are practical and comfortable.

I have been riding for donkeys years, I do not own boots the price of a small car.
My long boots were given to me. I tend to wear in winter as the mud wipes off.
I do prefer the short boots with gaiters as my foot is flexible. However even with long boots, the leather should still enable you to flex the ankle.
Mine are equileather so don't as much, the only downside.

Reactions: carthorse
Agree a pair of half-chaps would be a good starting point, if you don’t already wear them. I doubt they will transform your leg position (if only :) ) but they can offer some protection from rubbing and a bit of ankle support. Or you might discover you prefer the freedom of short boots without chaps after all , and feel glad you didn’t splash out on expensive long boots!

I love my Ariat Bromonts - supple leather with laces at the ankle for some light ankle support without being restrictive, and suede panels on the inside mean I can feel the horse. They aren’t a cheap option so I wouldn’t recommend them unless you are sure you will get years of use from them (and they do last ages if looked after), but maybe something to try a bit later if you really get the riding bug.

Rubber boots and some traditional leather boots can be rigid and cause more issues than they solve. Whatever you buy, make sure you can rotate your ankle by drawing a circle with your toe on the floor.

Reactions: Huggy
In my opinion, I do think short boots are better for learning leg aids. Big boots keep your ankle rigid and there is little feeling left between you and the horse's side. When I first came back to riding, I had to wear long boots. It was a rigid dress code at the stables. I was asked to canter, felt wobbly, gripped up in my posh long boots and out the side door I went, breaking my arm.

It was a real shock and I now realise that if I had ridden in joddie boots (which I always do now 30 years on), I would've had much more control of myself and my lower leg position.

Yes, long boots look nice but I do think it is a bit of "all the gear and no idea" sometimes.

I do wonder if long boots are harder to ride in?

For the last 15 years I have only ridden in long boots. Do they make me a better rider...... no I just prefer them than the faff of chaps. I also change from my hard boots to my long boot literally the moment I get off which I use to do with chaps as well so I protected my ridding boots making them last years.

there are some great makes out there now that are synthetic top half so they are more flexible and thinner allowing you to feel more plus a field boot with the lace up the front gives freedom of movement,

my current everyday riding boot is by caldene it fits like a glove and is as described above and certainty didn’t cost a small car. My competition boots did and they are not comfortable,

go with what feels right not what your riding instructor tells you.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
In my own opinion, I find that my long boots were a great idea and encouraged me to stay going. It's nice to be nice to yourself. The only advice is to get a comfortable pair as some of the competition boots are a killer to walk in

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com