Riding one pony and Leading the other out Hacking

AndalusianSara

Feb 1, 2006
Northants
Im in a position where i need to excercise both my ponies every day for a week. Does anyone ride and lead out hacking? If so could you give me some tips would it be best to bridle the one being lead, do i use a leadrope or is there something better/slightly longer/more controlling to have a good grip on the horse being lead?
Also they are both very forward going ponies but both very good in traffic etc Should i ride the 1 that can sometimes be testing (as in cheekiness, trys it on occassionally) or should i ride the one thats more forward going but stronger. :confused:

I would ride the pony you are less confident handling - ie if the stronger pony is harder to lead then ride that one

Is the stronger pony stronger when ridden or inhand? And does the testing pony test you on the ground as well as ridden?

If one prefers to lag behind the other then I would ride that one, IME it is easier to hold back a stronger pony in hand than urge on a slow one, but thats just me
Is one mroe competative? It is hard to say which one to ride as you know them best

I go out hacking with a little girl on her shetland and when shes not feeling confident i lead her while on Bobbi. I did use a leadrope but it really wasn't long enough, so now i use a short lunging (sp?) rope. :)

thanks guys. Ive cracked it! & it went really well managed to trot, think i'll leave the cantering til the ponies are certain whats expected of them js to be on the safe side
:)

newrider.com