Riding Or Leading With Headcollar Or Halter On The Road

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
How many people do this on the roads without realising you may not be insured?

I used to have separate insurance to ride on the public highway in a rope halter. Since getting the cob, i have changed company as vet fees were more important.

We are only insured to ride in a bit these days. But what i choose to lead or ride her with on the yard is private land and not a problem.

I saw someone ponying the other day and i admit i used to do so in headcollar. But times have
changed and people sue. Insurance companies look for a way out.

Last edited:
I keep saying this to people and they think I'm just being awkward! I also read somewhere that insurance policies say 'as per BHS guidelines' eg a riding hat and riding boots and yet I see people without hats and blooming wellies on....

The other change with some insurance companies for those of us who are barefoot. You are not insured if you use a Trimmer that is not a registered farrier.
My Trimmer has been overloaded since this change happened. He is also a farrier.

Oh really?!? I hadn't hear that!? Umm that's a bit Stoopid! Is that more to do with claiming in vets fees to do with hoof issues? Hmmm and yet my horses hooves are a million times tidier than those seen by a farrier (on our yard - not talking bout anyone else's horses/farriers!)

Im with NFU and when this recently went round facebook about the feet especially I phoned them. In their policy is does not, at any time, state what tack you can and cant wear - the word says something like 'must be in control of the horse'. If halter is your usual tack and that except for emergencies, you would be in control, I cant see that they would have a leg to stand on if they tried to refuse your claim.
NFU also do not have anything about registered farrier.
If in doubt phone your broker and have a chat. If you do like the answer - go elsewhere pronto and tell them why you're going!

Anna, it does on page 8.
"regular foot care by a registered farrier"
This is general conditions for the whole policy.

It also states on page 8
"maintain tack in good condition"

Apologies then. I will speak to them again as I was categorically told by the rep when I phoned that there was no requirement to use a farrier.
Tack in reasonable condition is so vague as to be meaningless!

Oh Lord newforest that means I've got to clean my tack then :giggle:. I've got a proper bitless bridle but use a bit on the roads as don't want my insurance to be down the swanny , as never ride without a hat or without boots on they can't get me for that & my boy is trimmed by a farrier . Phew have I plugged all the getout holes do you think ?

So you wouldnt be insured in a great big gag then if it wasn't sparkling & shiny :giggle:

NFU told me that I can ride on the road bitless. As for what they class as bitless / headcollar is another matter. I ride out in my dr cooks which as far as I'm concerned is a proper bitless bridle, which they say they're fine with. I would lead in my halter only though. Of course the easy way to get around it anyway is to have a bit in, just don't use it ;)

As for feet - I remember your confirmation from NFU Anna, and I'd say as that was literally a few weeks ago, id go with that. My policy doc says no such thing from when I went through it last time.

I always ride in a hat, but boots I tend to just wear walking boots. I now have caged safety stirrups so they couldn't argue that one :D but I'm sure walking boots are fine anyway - I've been allowed to wear them at several different establishments.

Last edited:
Are you with the nfu? Read page 8.

In response to the replies about cleaning tack that is simply immature. It obviously means good state of repair.

The point of the thread was to let people know you may not be insured, if you wish to test this out by all means carry on. I know from personal experience my friend was told she was not insured, and the driver took her to court. She was using a rope halter and leading.

I think the issue is compliance with the Highway Code, which say you must use a bridle on the road - doesn't say anything about a bit. I've checked with NFU in the past and they were fine about my using a Dr Cook.

I am one of those people who do take the pony out in a headcollar and leadrope,normally wearing my muckers :redcarded:. I have asked others at the yard and people have said ' She ( poppet) will be fine in a headcollar, so just take her in that'. I might start with her bridle, i don't often walk her in hand. I did use to take her around the roads in headcollar, leadrope and I had mucker boots on running, I was getting fit.. However I never knew that about the insurance. thanks for letting me know :)

So, beggs the question, how are you supposed to lead un bitted horses/youngsters?

Geesh what's wring with everyone tonight?! The comments about tack were just a joke, if anything making fun of the ins companies. Blooming heck.

Ok i accept it was said as a joke my friend however doesn't find a bill for £3000 funny. It is just so everyone is aware, check, get it in writing.
Some companies are ok with bitless bridles, but not halters.
The highway code does say bridle and saddle. So to take youngster out you could use a bitless?

newrider.com