riding outside is alot more diffcult then in the school

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so yesterday on my rding lesson we were took outiside as in on a lillte hack. and it is alot more difcult(aparentlly i was hlaf a sleep but i did think i was trying). aslo I'm sure the horse was treying bite me or at least nip me when i put him back in his stabble(must be geting a proper rider now now to experdiece that) but not sure how to deal with that when it happens its was when i was trying to put the reins over his heand and then put him twist them.

He might have just been wondering or asking in his own way if you had any treats for him! Lol ours can sometimes appear to be nibbling or nipping and they are in fact, making enquiries about polos or horse treats. Particularly after being ridden.......
Yes, riding outside the arena is different and in some ways more challenging. I found when I begun my first adult lessons that although initially I had wanted to hack, I often felt a lot safer in the arena under closer supervision.

Forgot to say, if he tries to nip just say no and push his head away from your hand or other body part. That is of course if you don't have a treat to give!

He might have just been wondering or asking in his own way if you had any treats for him! Lol ours can sometimes appear to be nibbling or nipping and they are in fact, making enquiries about polos or horse treats. Particularly after being ridden.......
Yes, riding outside the arena is different and in some ways more challenging. I found when I begun my first adult lessons that although initially I had wanted to hack, I often felt a lot safer in the arena under closer supervision.
he seem like he was saying "go away" or leave me alone" becasue I steped bank and then when i went to do again he did again" the insusuter came after that and when he i said "hes tring to bite me" he said "jusy tell him off"

So pleased you've been off exploring. Yes there is more to it because your horse is seeing more.
Your terrain may change. You don't know what's round the next corner. Nothing bad to us- but to a prey flight animal there might be.

Every horse will try to get a snatch of food or graze when it gets a chance, It is in their genes.
He isnt being naughty - that is how horses have survived.
But when it comes to a horse that eats when you are leading it or riding it - then you wont know what to do or how to cure it unless your RI shows you how and teaches you.
I hope you can get good advice.
And put in some practice.
Because I was once on a group hack where a rider had to turn back because no teacher had ever shown her what to do.

I don't quite see why you would need teaching how to stop a horse grazing, surely if you're riding properly & attentively it isn't going to start in the first place.

I will allow my own to graze when ridden - my horse, my choice - but there are rules & the first one is that he waits until it's offered rather than thinking he can tuck in whenever he fancies. I would hope with a riding school horse that would be even more firmly ingrained.

@RayRay going out hacking will teach you a lot. Horses tend to be a bit more forward, you learn to be stickier because things do happen & sometimes having so much more to think about means you don't over-complicate things. Plus it's fun!

I don't quite see why you would need teaching how to stop a horse grazing, surely if you're riding properly & attentively it isn't going to start in the first place.

I will allow my own to graze when ridden - my horse, my choice - but there are rules & the first one is that he waits until it's offered rather than thinking he can tuck in whenever he fancies. I would hope with a riding school horse that would be even more firmly ingrained.

@RayRay going out hacking will teach you a lot. Horses tend to be a bit more forward, you learn to be stickier because things do happen & sometimes having so much more to think about means you don't over-complicate things. Plus it's fun!

Yeah he meant not to let him

It's all about safety really

This is one of those situations where one cant win. Yes new riders like my OH and me and any new rider here do need teaching. All you people who learned so long ago maybe do it by instinct.
And especially one needs it if one is a beginner hacking in a group, if one is just standing around for something to be sorted or a gate to be opened.

Gosh Ziggy grabbed at everything we passed for years after I got him, I just wasn't quick enough to stop him. Now I know him better I can tell by the twitch of an ear what he has in mind, and I'm quicker with other horses, too, but honestly it took me ages to sharpen up!

Where I had my early adult lessons - we used to walk our horses around to the indoor arena. Oh my! That clever cob knew he could grab at the flowers and get away with it! Lol they used to have lovely flowers in tubs on display dotted about the yard entrance. Hmm. I ended up red faced holding on to a purple mouthed cob:D:pI truly had no idea what he had planned and how to stop him!!!! Wouldn't let ours do anything like that now of course. But saying that, madam made a play for the back garden on the way back from the summer paddocks the other evening, cheeky mare, she made out like she was heading for home nicely and then at the last moment snatched at some flowes en route:oops::p

You’re not wrong about horses being different in different situations. :eek:

My placid, cuddly, novice ride turns into a fence-seeking missile with no brakes on a fun ride. :D

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com