Riding pony in endurance?????

miggy

May 23, 2004
west sussex
Visit site
Ok, big decision to make all help needed please...........
Basically I have too many horses and not enough time and my friend who has been coming over once a week riding with me is sadly undergoing treatment for breast cancer and will be out of action all year :(
I do 25 mile endurance rides on my pony (14h appaloosa) and just hack and school a bit. I bought her 2 yrs ago to share with the children but she is not a childs ride really.
Have just bought my son a 16yr old 13h welsh type pony, muffy. Have hacked her out for the first time today and she was really forward going and obv enjoyed it. Have just found out that she has had prev. bout of laminitis so will need to give her plenty of work and I will have to do most of that as children are obv at school.
Would be happy to just give up endurance rides but my friend who keeps her horses with us is really keen and needs me to hack out with her (doesnt like going out on her own) and we have been doing rides together. So dont want to just dump her on her own.
Do you think it would be feasible to ride the 13h pony on 25 mile rides, would I get scowled at/laughed at? would it be fair on pony? I am 9st and 5ft1.
Then I could sell my 14h mare :( and concentrate on keeping Muffy fit (and the semi retired arab and the other childs pony etc etc....) without so much worry? Help please

My friend was doing 100mile endurance rides with her little 13.1hh shetlandx until , at 18, she damaged her annular ligaments (fell down a hole in the feild). There's no reason you couldn't ride her.

Seems such a shame to sell you're appy though. Can you not put her out on share or even loan?

Thanks for replies, love the Tevis pony :)

Pinks lady-thing is she is 10 now and I dont know how long it will be before I have time again, so would perhaps be better to sell now while a good age?
Also never easy I find, finding good homes with commited owners for loan horses (Im sure there are lots of you here but perhaps this is not a representative sample of people who answer ads!). If she went to a new good home, then it would be one less thing for me to worry about. Though I can see myself putting an ad in and then no one being "quite right"!

newrider.com