riding pony

kelbe

Aug 1, 2008
Surrey
can anyone tell me how much weight my pony can carry she is a welsh sec a x and is 12.2hh i would love to ride her. she belongs to my daughter who has not yet got the confidence to give her a good canter and just let of steam and i would love to do it but worry about hurting here.

have you got a picture of the pony, so we can judge type :)

at the moment a rough guess of upto 10 stone would probably be the limit.

10 stone occasionally wont hurt her, i wouldnt want it to be regular though or the first time getting on and going for a 2 hour hack and gallop, you would have to build her up to get used to carrying weight :)

Agreed with previous post...
I have 12.2hh pony welsh cross he is slighty different build to your mare more muscle and he has no problems carrying me at 10stone 4/6pounds depending (on mission to drop 1stone) but i would agree you will need to build up your mare before take her out to blast away the cobwebs but once fit i dont see why she couldnt carry you if my guy hasnt a problem with me...

This is Bob, he's a 12.2 sec B cross, he's a lot fitter now than he was in this pic:p but still struggled with 9 stone of me the once or twice I've hopped on for a minute. I don't intend doing it again even to just stand still. You'll know yourself if the pony is able to carry your weight if you just jump on and see how she does standing still and she seems fine go for a short walk. I don't think you've mentioned your weight but I certainly wouldn't think of asking ours to carry me for any length of time, and would never, ever expect him to canter.

picture.php

Last edited:
newrider.com