riding school- employees per horses

4eva bankrupt

due to horses
Nov 5, 2005
Norfolk
Hiya,
i was wondering those of you how either work at, own, or ride at riding schools.

How many horses does the riding school have, and how many employees, and if you want to really specific what type of employees e.g instructors, yard workers, or trainees.

A question for riding school owners and employees, how many hours do you generally in a week, does this include lunch and breaks, what breaks do you get in a day.

Please as many replies as possible as i need to know :eek::eek:

First place i worked there was 2 instructors 2 instructors that worked on the yard too and 5 of us on a good day so would be about 4-6 on the yard in one day and there was about 50 horses there (although no where near enough staff or tools)

Second place 4 of us to 12 horses we had 4 each to look after plus the head girl who chipped into everyones!!

11 horses and 3 of us working as a team at current place and works really well.

At first place i worked mon/wed 8-5.30 with half hour break in am and 1 hours for lunch tue 8AM-9PM with 2 half hour breaks and 2 hours for lunch and sat/sun 7.30-6 with half hour break and hour for lunch.

Second place 8-5 with an hour for lunch

Current place 8-12 with a tea break - but the girl who works full time works 8-12 with tea break and then 2-5.30 with a teea break (2 hours lunch)

Hope this helps, sorry its a bit confising!

hi there is 23 some owned

we have 2 workers(mucking out people)work every day 9:7pm (exp sunday)break when ever but have to finch work
then also 2 teenagers that help eevery day (most of the time )
on thursday fri and sun we have a 1 ri and some of us kids to help her(4pm.9pm)we halp in the scl leadrienso have breaks quite often
and the owner and her daughter

i hoped that helped :)

love sara [.x.]

Last edited:
blimey flony pony! where do you work! sounds amazing! :eek::)
i work 7am til 7pm weekdays, unless its an exam day then its 6am til 7pm. fridays i work 7am til 11pm with only an hours lunch break and meant to have an hour break 5 til 6 too but it never happens. weekends generally 7am til 7pm again. there are 7 full time yard staff to deal with 70 to 80 horses, its rubbish really! no structure or organisation and rarely goes smoothly.
the last place i worked at i did 8am til 6pm set, never any overtime and during winter it was 8am til 5pm sharp and always a garunteed hour for lunch and half hour break in morning at 10am, was luxury compared to where im at now! damn that "grass is always greener" thing :rolleyes:

btw i wk on sun 8.30 to 5..30?6.00 but the good thing about mi yard is thatr it is fun and every 1 is sooooo kind

i like the sound of your old place but the new 1 sounds a bit stricked(sp)
but most of allll do u like it??????

Last edited:
thanks for all the info everyone.

I don't mean to get into everyones business sop only give a ball park figure if yuo are happy but what are your wages for said hours, either hourly of weekly.

So if inappripriate.

lol, i dont care! i was on £60 per week at the previous place, and got paid if i did overtime or covered someones sick leave and we got bonuses at xmas, easter, birthdays etc too.
where im at now i only get £40, do double the work, get half the training and as for enjoying it, it isnt a patch on the previous place!! hold on, what AM i doing here?!?!?! :eek::confused:
help! anyone know of any decent places?! lol x

Well our yard has 36 horses and ponies looked after by 3 yard staff or trainees working five hour shifts 6 days a week. (Everything designed for labour saving and horse comfort but obviously much easier job in summer when most live out). Yard manager/horse trainer/instructor plus business manager/instructor working 12 hour days 6 days a week (well we do own the business !)

Staff earn above the minimum wage, trainees do three hours stable work and two hours formal training four days a week in the morning and are paid at national minimum wage for anything else they do

I really don't think that anyone should be expected to work for pocket money nor realistically can many yards achieve that one person to four horse ideal unless that includes everything such as exercising, schooling etc.

we have 20 horses in. 2 part time grooms (1 does 3 mornings, the other does 4) 1 bhssm instructor that does 3 days a week, a freelance bhsai that does 1 day a week. 1 trainee that does 30 hours and 2 part time volunteers. Lunch breaks and coffee breaks fit in around clients, although usually the mandatory 15 mins am/pm and an hour midday are the norm, there are times when these do not happen. However there are other days when 30 minutes rest breaks occur so it swings in roundabouts

We have 75 horses and ponies. We have 28 members of staff.11 of which are instructors. All staff are BHS and/or ABRS qualified. The instructors are all BHS qualified from BHSPTT to FBHS.
We have an hour for lunch, 15 min coffee break at 11am and usually another 10 min break in the afternoon.
Staff work between a 35 and 40 hour week however if we have shows on then there may be a little extra to do- staff can either take this of later on in leiu or be paid overtime.
Students are on approx £80 per week plus training in owrk time, as many free lessons as they like in their own time and all exams paid for.

I work at Twin Oaks in Mursley, Bucks, but not for much longer as they dont have enoug horses to keep me on unfortunatly!! :(

I get paid £5ph where i work now but before i used to work for £3 an hour (min wage!)

Going back a bit (13 years:eek:)I worked at a yard with 25 stabled horses (all livery either full or working). Also 10 school ponies living out.

We had

4 F/T Instructors (2 BHSII & 2 BHSAI)
2 P/T Instructors (BHSAI) that did weekend work
8 (approx) students (NVQ/BHS)

The general horse care was done by the trainees approx 3 stabled hores each plus at least 1 grass kept.

I worked 7.00 am to 5.00pm 5 days a week (Saturday and Monday off). This was standard for all the staff - a four day week and weekend day. Our breakfast from 8.00am-9.00am, training for students 10.00am to 12.00pm. Lunch 12.30 to 1.30pm.

I earned £8320 pa as an instructor but had my accomodation and food supplied for that and 1 free horse livery.
Instructors dong an evening shift paid extra at £7.00 per hour.

Last edited:
right i think its time to write my details down.

When i started work i was told I would be working 37hrs a week for £150 with 1hrs lunch break each day

I currently work a minimum week of
Monday OFF
Tuesday- 10:30 til 7:45
Wednesday- 8:30 til 5:30
Thursday- 10:30 til 7:30
Friday- 1 til 6:30
Saturday- 7 til 6
Sunday- 7 til 1

So about 49hrs a week. Also only get about a 15min break, half way through the day, although am lucky sometimes and get a whole hour depending on how many daytime lesson there are. Although on Sun and Fri get no breaks at all.

We have about 24horses, there are 2 full time staff, me n me mate (who does about same amount of hours), 1 part time instructor who does 1 evening a week, Sat afternoon and Sunday, and 1 part time yard worker who does everything monday, 1hr tuesday, and friday morning.

What do people think of my situation, honest opinions please

As I am a helper I will just write about the one day I know about - Saturdays

Length of Day - 8:15-5/6 (dependant on whether a party is booked or not)

Lunch Break - 12:30 -1:00

Yard Managers - 1

Employed Staff - 3 (2 work whole day, 1 until 1:00, 4 staff employed in total the other is off)

Riding Intructors - 1

Helpers - 5-10 (approx)

Number of Horses and Ponies - 16

Last edited:
4eva bankrupt - that is a lot of work for you to do in the short space of hours that you work.

What happened if one of you fell ill ro had an accident?? - that would leave 1 person to do all the work.:confused::confused:

weel it did happen over the 2weeks of easter holidays, my mate the other full time employee had it off due to medical reason so i was left to do everything, even the part yard worker didn't come in because she doesn't work in the holiday, I must have been working over 60hrs those 2 weeks, and to top it off my boss then went on holiday for 3days so i was totally on my own, with the lessons to do and 12childs to look after, :eek:

I work at a riding school on a saturday, theres usually me and my friend and our instructor, instructor does all teaching and helps bring them in and will usually muck out one of the two that are in. Then me and my friend do all the rest of the work, work from 8 and my friend usually leaves between 4 and half past 5 at very latest as she works somewhere else from about 6 and i'll go when everything is done which is sometimes when she goes or sometimes 1/2 hour to an hour later.

I also usually ride one of the youngsters in a lesson to get her ridden. Theres also usually a few kids around to 'help' but to be honest they dont do much and you have to ask them more than once so is easier to do it your self.

Am also working there a few days a week now i'm finished school from between 8 and 9 till about 5-6 and riding another of the youngsters and my own. During the week though theres 2 other women who work there and do a lot so isnt as hard during the week.

Oh yeh and get paid £20 for a saturday and not sure about during the week think £10 but am getting to ride the youngsters so experience for me so not fusses about money.

Sorry for long reply :eek:

I used to work at Suzannes(long time ago!!)Riding School we had quite a few instructors there(Id say about 10) and there was a groom for every 5 horses(there where about 60 horses on the yard)

I then worked at Meca(much smaller than Suzannes) we had 4 instructors there & 4 grooms(there where only 25 horses on the yard)

newrider.com