Riding School, Instuction

pharoah

Sep 17, 2008
West Yorkshire
For those of you that ride at an RS do you use the same RS all the time or do you use different ones.
I am currently at an RS and enjoy the lessons there (group lesson ususally 6 but has reached 8) and the RI is really good, however, a friend goes to a different RS and I went along for the first time (semi-private 2) and really enjoyed it for different reasons.
I'm wondering whether it is a good idea to go to different instructors or not.

I would say it depends on whether their approaches are compatible. For example, my RI is a Mary Wanless associate, and I find a BHS-trained RI not really compatible.

But if they're both BHS trained and telling you more or less the same thing, I can't see a problem.

I've stuck with the same one for years, I know the people that run it and it's a really lovely environment to ride in. My group ride is small and really friendly. At one point I did consider moving because it's quite a small riding school so they struggled to have enough horses for us to have a group jump class so now instead I have a private jumping lesson once a month. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday's ride. :)

As an RI I probably do myself out of business but I really think that once you have the basics established the more experience you have of different horses and teaching the better the rider you become.

We all have different ways of learning/explaining and sometimes a new eye can clear up problems.

newrider.com