Riding School riders- do you have personal insurance?

Calder

Jan 26, 2006
Oxford
Although I typically only ride once a week, I've been wondering if personal accident cover might be worthwhile. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worthwhile for occasional riders? I mostly school and hack: my trainer wants me to jump more, but I'm not particularly interested (and, in my forties, I don't bounce like I used to!).

I would have thought if you are riding at a riding school you are covered by their insurance? Or is that only Public Liability?

I would have thought if you are riding at a riding school you are covered by their insurance? Or is that only Public Liability?

Interesting.. I don't know. I have heard, though, that regular riders are recommended to take out personal insurance. One of the reasons I ask is that I'm about to start occasionally riding one of the RS horses by myself, so wouldn't be under the direct supervision of a staff member. I don't know if that makes a difference.

BHS gold includes public liability up to 30 million and personal accident up to 10k among other things, as with most personal injury policies it only covers you for death or permeant injury, not for eg loss of earnings due to a broken leg or anything that will heal.

I would ask the RS for specific info re their insurance and why it will/won't cover you, if you are paying for the ride I would expect their public liability etc. to still be in effect.

I've had BHS Gold insurance for good number of years, despite being mainly an RS rider only. When I'm paying to ride i.e a lesson or hack with an instructor present their insurance covered me. But I also did a short term share elsewhere, plus the RS were happy for me to fetch a random beastie out of the field/stable and ride out with the mature liveries. (I'm 58.)

I felt it was only fair to cover myself. My choice, my ride, my risk. The horses I've shared/borrowed have been insured by their owners too. I just felt it was useful to be able to say I had my own cover for 3rd party liability, etc. I never claimed on it but it for about £60-70 a year you benefit from BHS advice/helplines etc too.

Reactions: Calder
newrider.com