riding schools

I ride at a riding school in West Yorkshire. I want to loan a horse eventually but gaining more experience at the school at the moment!

How long were you doing lessons before you decided to get your own?

About a year, but I hung about making a nuisance of myself before and after every lesson to try and soak up as much horse time as possible. I was also lucky to find a yard that welcomed the idea of a novice owning for the first time, and they were willing to help me learn along the way so to speak. I think if i had been faced with a less obliging helpful yard then I'd have waited a lot longer before buying. It's such a huge commitment.:)

Reactions: Nayumi1
About a year, but I hung about making a nuisance of myself before and after every lesson to try and soak up as much horse time as possible. I was also lucky to find a yard that welcomed the idea of a novice owning for the first time, and they were willing to help me learn along the way so to speak. I think if i had been faced with a less obliging helpful yard then I'd have waited a lot longer before buying. It's such a huge commitment.:)
Yeah I definitely don't want to buy my own horse as my partner and I will be moving back to Australia in 4 years. I don't want to buy and then sell off after a couple of years! I am hoping to pester the RS as much as I can to learn everything possible, I watch loads of videos, read etc so hope in probably a year I can loan a horse!

I meant that I've always ridden at riding schools. I can't commit to a loan or even a share at the moment. I actually really like riding schools: I like getting to ride different horses and being around other horsey people, although I know others value having their own horse for the me-time and the exclusive bond. I have a book called The Horseless Rider which has lots of useful guidance about all the things you can do without having a horse of your own (although it does cover becoming a horse-owner). It gave me confidence that I wasn't an impostor in the horse world, even if I was only a riding school rider and a holiday hacker.

I was offered the grey I'm on in my avatar on loan, who I loved, but he was just too much horse for me to take on at that time and he was sold on to be a park ranger's horse. A great life for him, but one of the problems of being an RS rider is that you don't necessarily get to choose what you ride and even if you do form a bond with a horse, you may not always get to ride it.

Reactions: orbvalley
I meant that I've always ridden at riding schools. I can't commit to a loan or even a share at the moment. I actually really like riding schools: I like getting to ride different horses and being around other horsey people, although I know others value having their own horse for the me-time and the exclusive bond. I have a book called The Horseless Rider which has lots of useful guidance about all the things you can do without having a horse of your own (although it does cover becoming a horse-owner). It gave me confidence that I wasn't an impostor in the horse world, even if I was only a riding school rider and a holiday hacker.

I was offered the grey I'm on in my avatar on loan, who I loved, but he was just too much horse for me to take on at that time and he was sold on to be a park ranger's horse. A great life for him, but one of the problems of being an RS rider is that you don't necessarily get to choose what you ride and even if you do form a bond with a horse, you may not always get to ride it.

ah thats cools yeah I liked quting experidence of diffnet horses maybe i'll liik into that book

Hello, I have just got back into riding and am doing lessons at a RS in Australia. The school is very supportive of this mature rider getting back into it, encouraging and telling me when I have done things well. I am fortunate that I am, at this stage, able to have the same horse each week. I have friends who have horses, but at moment I do not think I could commit to owning one due to expenses and work commitments. Maybe one day. But at moment am happy to ride every week and gain more confidence, experience. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com