Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I Don't Use It

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I Don't Have One

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Do people use a black quarter sheet? Those sit just behind the saddle and cover the rump.
I have seen people in white waterproof trousers when it's piddling down.
So if wool to match your jacket it might be ok?
I've never seen anyone using a quarter sheet. You're not even allowed to wear waterproof coats unless given express permission by the hunt. I did think about getting something like a quarter sheet (can't remember the name now, a rump warmer or something) that pulls up behind the saddle when not in use. Thought it would be useful at port stops, but they didn't fold up discretely enough behind the saddle, they just don't look smart. A riding skirt on the other hand ... after all you're allowed one if you're riding side saddle.

Immaterial for me, since Raf's continuing issues have stopped play for nearly the whole season. Do not make plans, do not make plans ...

Again, why? Not that I don't like it (although I don't think it would look that nice over the top of normal winter jods) but why wear it at all?

The only reason I can think of it so keep the saddle dry? I guess you spread it out to cover the saddle, but if you were rising trot then surely it would just bunch up underneath you? Looks like too much bother to me.

I've never seen anyone using a quarter sheet. You're not even allowed to wear waterproof coats unless given express permission by the hunt. I did think about getting something like a quarter sheet (can't remember the name now, a rump warmer or something) that pulls up behind the saddle when not in use. Thought it would be useful at port stops, but they didn't fold up discretely enough behind the saddle, they just don't look smart. A riding skirt on the other hand ... after all you're allowed one if you're riding side saddle.

Immaterial for me, since Raf's continuing issues have stopped play for nearly the whole season. Do not make plans, do not make plans ...
I've seen people hunting in black short waterproof jackets. Depends on the hunt as you say. Pop down here as I know you can wear waterproofs.
Maybe you could do a hunter clip early and then a blanket clip thereafter. Then the horse protects itself to a point.

Reactions: Bodshi
Again, why? Not that I don't like it (although I don't think it would look that nice over the top of normal winter jods) but why wear it at all?
I used to have full Hi viz waterproof riding trousers. They stopped making as not popular. Shame as they were great!
Maybe this idea is because skirts are "in fashion" and the hi viz aspect is useful. However they are long enough. Your lower leg will get soaked. I want a ridden photo to see how it sits, over the saddle? On you?
I am using the cycling half trousers for those in between season days, reflective silver, windproof and waterproof to protect the thighs and only cost £25. They roll up when not in use but as silver I never roll up.

UPDATE!!
I just received my riding skirt in the mail, it only took 12 days to get from Norway to Canada!
The pictures on the blog are so realistic, it actually twirls like that!!! I took a 2-mile walk x-country and didn't have any problems with tripping on it. I haven't worn it around the horses, but I'll do an update after with more pictures around the horses. It's super practical and I can tell I won't have any problems mounting or riding. It's a wrap around skirt so it has an overlapping split for riding but still keeps you super warm. No buttons or zippers to break!!! i didn't take any pictures of the skirt in motion and couldn't attach the video. BTW this is the skirt that I settled on. https://klesarven.no/en/produkt/rideskjort-matilde/
IMG_1103 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
UPDATE!!
I just received my riding skirt in the mail, it only took 12 days to get from Norway to Canada!
The pictures on the blog are so realistic, it actually twirls like that!!! I took a 2-mile walk x-country and didn't have any problems with tripping on it. I haven't worn it around the horses, but I'll do an update after with more pictures around the horses. It's super practical and I can tell I won't have any problems mounting or riding. It's a wrap around skirt so it has an overlapping split for riding but still keeps you super warm. No buttons or zippers to break!!! i didn't take any pictures of the skirt in motion and couldn't attach the video. BTW this is the skirt that I settled on. https://klesarven.no/en/produkt/rideskjort-matilde/
View attachment 97637
Elegant!

Seriously? I thought the 1980 Adam Ant days were back!
I love the kind of military style - too old for it now :oops:. And I have to say, in my heyday, for about 2 months, I thought Adam Ant was the bomb ding lol. Stand and Deliver :p !

@Bodshi - I was at an Icelandic horse show a few years back and a woman in her 50's came up to me wearing it fresh from the shop. A stranger. And she said "what do you think I look like in this?" so I immediatley answered "Adam Ant" and she flurried off in a huff and bought it shooting me filthy looks for the rest of the weekend!

And yes, she looked like a throw-back from the 80's for the whole weekend. She stood and delivered!

Reactions: Bodshi
I love the kind of military style - too old for it now :oops:. And I have to say, in my heyday, for about 2 months, I thought Adam Ant was the bomb ding lol. Stand and Deliver :p !
Stop right there Mrs, no one is ever too old for any style, boll***s to that, wear whatever you like and who gives a monkeys what the fashion police think!
I am 56 and still wear a bikini to swim in, shock, horror, do I care if other people don’t like it? Big fat no, if you want to wear military style or men’s underpants on your head go for it.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
newrider.com