Riding with arthritis

ReturneeRider

Dec 11, 2018
I used to ride a lot as a child/teenager, but I had to stop when we moved house to somewhere that didn't have a nearby stable. Then in my twenties I developed arthritis in my knees and feet, and after that I thought that riding wouldn't really be practical. Recently two things happened: I met someone with much more severe arthritis than I have who rides regularly, and I moved to a new flat that turns out to be a short walk from a stable. So I've booked a lesson for next week! I'm really excited, but nervous. Are there any other riders here who have begun/returned to riding with arthritis or other joint conditions? Any advice or strategies?

Welcome to NR :D

I've got duff knees and back but not arthritis, I find little tweeks of this and that can make a real difference to my comfort, hopefully you can find a way that works for you :)

Yes I have AS and I ride pretty much six times a week,

You need to make sure you are riding at a length that is comfortable and not ride short as this will make it worse plus a dressage saddle is kinder on the joints,

I control my medication around how I’m feeling if I have a weekend of competition I up my meds to help me out a bit.

Good luck and enjoy oh and remeber to tell the school

Yes, I have arthritis in my left shoulder and also suffer from cramps in my legs - the arthritis results in me not being able to hold my left hand in the right position without sticking my elbow out, so when new RIs say get that elbow in, I put both reins in my right hand and dangle my left arm down ;) - they soon get the message!

Seriously, arthritis doesn't need to stop you riding - just make what ever adjustments you need to, tell the RI about the issues you have and enjoy yourself :)

newrider.com