Ringworm...stupid questions

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
My daughters pony has got Ringworm, vet has prescribed Imaverol wash, directions are to apply 4 times a day every 3rd day.

Question 1. When to apply :unsure: am I supposed to spread them out so that I am treating in middle of night.

Question 2. Fly rug leave on or off, he is not happy about flies, but worried about recontamination.

Question 3. Was thinking of using product in link between treatments, but unsure http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product_details.html?cid=Mw==&pid=NDQ=.

Should of asked vet these questions but only thought of them tonight. :help:

It's a pain in the bum but I would just give the vet a ring back.

I know when Maya had it she had some shampoo and was washed once when her ringworm had cleared up. I used caneston To clear it up.

When she was washed I had to dunk all of my tack, equipment, gates, doors, fence posts and everything else I could think off to stop any contamination.

Wash the rug and all grooming kit/tack in imaverol before reusing. Also treat all stables/horseboxes/riders boots etc. Ringworm can be transmitted from animal to animal through indirect contact such as these.

You don't need to get up in the middle of the night, an early morning, lunch time, supper time and bed time treatment will suffice!!

I wouldn't use anything else while under vet treatment

Wash the rug and all grooming kit/tack in imaverol before reusing. Also treat all stables/horseboxes/riders boots etc. Ringworm can be transmitted from animal to animal through indirect contact such as these.

You don't need to get up in the middle of the night, an early morning, lunch time, supper time and bed time treatment will suffice!!

I wouldn't use anything else while under vet treatment

Thankyou, got a busy day tomorrow.

Well washed pony all over this morning, was a nightmare around his head as very earshy. Did the couple of patches twice more during day, one more treatment to go tonight. Typical he has very little of it, but worst place is between his ears which he hates.

Spent rest of the day doing fly mask, fly rug, light weight, headcollars, leadropes, tack, hi viz, hay net, lunge lines, numnahs, gooming kit, fence posts, it took forever.

Did water and feed buckets with Jeyes Fluid.
Thank God no stable to do.

Hope I got everything.

For the follow up treatment of the actual areas we made up the solution in a new plant spray bottle so just had to spray it on as directed...makes it very easy, particularly with a field kept horse.

Our case arrived when a rider had been climbing over a stile while walking her dog daily where cattle affected by the virus had been rubbing, unfortunately she got it on her legs, was ashamed to tell us and so it spread to the horse she rode. Fortunately none of ours share tack so we stopped it immediately!!

Just a thought - do you have a trailer - if so would be doing that out completely as well. Its a fairly common area for transmitting it from one horse to another.

We used to dunk everything in Virkon E (including the horses!) but not sure if they make it any more - but maximum of 2 baths for the horses was usually enough to clear it up completely.:smile:

Bought a couple of plant spray bottles this morning, did everything with them, worked fab.:biggrin:

My daughter often goes through our only bridleway which consists of large fields, several containing cows. The cows often gather around the gates, so have to go through them to continue, assume Zebedee picked it up there.

No trailer at moment, having ramps replaced.:happy:

When my boy had it i used a medicated shampoo on him then used caneston cream and it cleared up a treat!

Halfway through treatments. :biggrin:

Poor pony is not happy about having between his ears done, nice sloopy bucket seems to be helping as he can't grab a mouthful then whip his head away.

Will be glad when this is over and done with.:frown:

newrider.com