RIP Berry...xxx (long)

paulamcc75

R.I.P Berry xxxxx
May 8, 2008
Frecheville, Sheffield
For those of you that followed the thread 'bloody fuming' you'll probably remember that i bought Bery back in July as a healthy 12 year old and then 6 weeks later found out she was actually 25 and could not be ridden again. I was in the process of taking the former owner to court about this but was reluctant to let her go back to someone that obviously cared so little about her to sell her in the first place knowing this. We've had a few ups and downs since then with her health and just last week Berry had a turn in the field which i can only describe as a fit. That made my mind up that she was staying with me to live out her days being loved and cared for no matter what....today i went to bring her in and found her stood up but unable to walk with blood dripping from her hind leg. I called the vet and tried to bring her down to the stable to be examined...40 mins later she was only just out of the gate when the vet arrived and gave her pain relief. we eventualy managed to get her onto the yard and the vet clipped her leg to find what was wrong to discover 2 gaping wounds...a dog bite that had severed her tendons and caused a lot of damage. I had no choice but to have Berry PTS there and then which was the worst thing i have ever had to watch in the whole of my life. Our field has a public footpath running along the top of it and i cant make sense in my head how someone can watch their dog attack a horse and then leave the poor animal there obviously in pain and suffering. Why wasnt the dog on a lead? why didnt they come down to the yard and tell somebody what had happened? Berry has had a hard life (the damage to her legs which deemed her unrideable says so! ) and it breaks my heart to think that she was finally somewhere where she had the life she deserved for it to be taken away by some mindless idiot that didnt have the sense to put their dog on a lead in a field full of horses. The only comfort i can take is that the last few months of her life she has been loved and cared for and was able to rest and retire in peace. I just hope i have made her last few months as happy as she has made mine.
RIP B x

Oh my :( You are a kind hearted, wonderful person. I am sure Berry appreciated her last few months, being loved for what she was rather than reviled for what she was not. Sometimes fate has other plans for us. Berry was meant to have these peaceful months ((hugs)).

omg im so sorry to hear that and we al know you didd your best im sure she was very gratefull.RIP berry xx

some dog owners are totally unresposible, they even let here dogs off the lead knowing what will happen:mad:
Poor horse, at least she has happiness while in your care:)
RIP Berry xxx

What a dreadful thing to happen , poor Berry and poor you. It must have been heartbreaking for you , but thank goodness you gave her a happy few months and were there to help her at the end.You couldn't have done more.
I hope the person who sold her to you can sleep at night knowing the things they've done to make money...and as for the dog owner , well ....

Im really sorry hun

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

So sorry to hear about poor Berry. But so glad you kept her and made her last few months happy ones.

RIP Berry and hugs to you
xxx

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. At least she knew that someone cared for her at the end. I hope that you have some happy memories to ease your pain.

I do remember your original post about Berry.I am so very sorry to hear what happened to her.Such a terrible ending to her short happy time with you. I hope you reported the injury to the police. I do recall reading of a similar story just a couple of days ago.I don't remember where it was though other than it was a shire mare and a shetland that were attacked by a pit bull type dog.The police were appealing for information on that attack so lets hope that they do the same for you and Berry.RIP Berry! Hugs to you Paulamcc75.You are truly a wonderful person to do what you have done for her.

I am so sorry, what an awful thing to happen to Berry. I remember your post about her and the dealer who sold her to you. Thank heavens the last few months of her life were with you who gave her the care and love that she deserved.

I have reported it to the police but they said with no witnesses they cannot do anything unless there are other reports of dog attacks in the area. I want to say thankyou to you all for your kind words. Its a totally devastating experience im sure most of you have been there at some point and its the worst feeling ever. At least i can sleep at night knowing i did my best for her.

Oh hun I'm so sorry about Berry. If you want me to ring you just let me know. I have free evening and weekend calls and don't mind ringing you even if its just for you to have a cry over the phone to me.

RIP B you will be sorely missed. I wish I had got to know you better. And I'm happy you spent the last of your days with Paula who did her very best to give you the best.

100_1268.jpg

Just read all your threads and am so sorry to hear about your loss. We are in your area n would happily welcome you to come n see us at our yard if u needed a horsey shoulder? I'd be intersted to know who u got her from n see if we can help u out any? Where did u end up keeping her? Poor poor u and poor poor Berry. It sounds like she was very happy during her final days? PM me if u want to. xxx

so sorry for your lose,at least the last couple of months would of been the best of her life and hopefully her faith in the human race restored,I know its not really a great time for you at the momment but the dog attack if you could ask around put a couple of notices up etc if this dog has done it once it could so easily happen again.I caught some lady walking in the fields at our yard I approached her she was adament their was a public foot path I insisted their was'nt it ran down the other side of the farm then the cheecky mare goes and drops her poo bag in the field:mad::mad:sending loads of virtually hugs.xxxxx

So sorry to hear of this.

Like you say though - she spend the last few months of her life relaxed and happy.

RIP Berry x

newrider.com