RIP Mrs Sivewright

CaptainKirk

Feb 12, 2013
So very sad to hear that Molly Sivewright FBHS, founder of Talland School of Equitation has passed away, her Thinking Riding books transformed my thinking about riding and coaching, beautifully written from feeling and knowledge. A huge loss to the horseworld.

http://talland.net/h/Molly_Sivewright

Last edited:
One of the dynasties of UK riding education! Maybe you could write a bit more about the positive things you learned from her? What made her special?

She was an amazing lady who started Talland Equestrian where many top class international people from dressage to eventing have trained. She helped take Britain from a military based eventing nation to our current dressage successes. As CK said her books are inspirational

OK, as someone who took learning to ride seriously, her book is on my bibliography data base, tho I didnt buy it and dont remember reading it. May be because I was a new rider, no on on NR ever pressed me to read it.
Her daughter and grandson always figured in Horse and Hound. So always very well known, week in week out.
But what I would like is perhaps this evening if someone who benefitted from her teaching has time is a summary of what made so much difference to people here when they read her book. As I might be able to do for a trainer who has influenced me.
I never went to Talland. But I went to another dressage school and my very last lesson there after my previous instructor left, was a young man who had just spent a year or two training at Talland.
One cant judge a school by one of its ex-students but I found him dictatorial and innapropriate. Just because Talland had such a reputation - I was used to RIs who discussed pros and cons and adapted cues and riding to a particular horse.

Very sad news - she was only a name to me, but a legendary one. I think maybe the reason you didn't read her books, Skib, was that they seemed to be aimed at instructors and trainee instructors rather than your average amateur.

That's a brilliant pic in the link you posted, KC - tells you all about her! She reminds me of our own beloved Pony Club DC, also sadly no longer with us - I never saw the DC on a horse, but I'm sure that's what she would have looked like ...

Last edited:
I havent heard of her before, but she sounded a very special and gifted person. Will have a look at her stuff

thoughts are with her family, and likewise people that knew her and benefited from her knowledge, its always sad to hear of someones loss.

Skib I have not the time nor the interest to write a book review of anyones' writing. I have a large library of books I find useful, from Sivewright to the German manual of Equitation to a Swedish view, more modernly from Moffat, Stainer, Lock to the 'showing experts' I also have several discussing the various NH techniques.

At the end of the day you need to get on lots of horses and ride them to discover what works for you and them.

Molly Sivewright founded a dynasty that produced successful riders to Olympic levels, in competitive terms you don't agree with but with ideas many of us could understand. I personally could never aspire to be a top level competitor but I think I owe it to our horses to follow routes that lead to perfection as far as I am able. She was a role model and a mentor many could hope to follow.

You posted that very late at night eml.
Nor did I enquire in a critical way.

Every teacher of riding (and anything else) has to be set in their own historical period - what they took from the past and what they altered or presented in a new way that people found so helpful.
After all that was what your daughter posted!

I will look for the obituaries to see if I can get an idea -

I think it was more to honour her memory this post, after her death which has saddened many- time and a place eh?

newrider.com