RIP Rosie

thanks Trieste, she and Molly are reunited side by side at the top of the hill, two coloured cobs together. I miss the old trout as her little paddock was in eye view of my office, so I watched her most of the day.

According to the vet's report, she was close to foundering, and would have required a hoof re=section, which was unethical to do even if it had been possible. Her insurers are refusing to pay out on her as she didn't meet BEVA requirements, as there was a treatment option available though quite how it would be 'humane' to drag a horse, bleeding from beneath the pedal bone, over stones, down a hill (not weight bearing on that foot at all), transport for 2 hours in an unsprung trailer, then box rest for six months (she didn't want to do it) and for what, till her next laminitic episode.

Anyway we let her go. I do miss her old crabby facing scowling at me from the field as I work!

It was her time, in the spring when she was poorly and we moved her to living outdoors as her feet couldn't cope with walking on concrete, I hoped I would give her a summer and probably let her go before the winter, depending on how she got on, we almost got there.

She was getting more and more frequent bouts, and pain relief was working less, she had some good quality periods when she was sound and bolshy and happy, and other times when you could see she was sore, in the end the foot abscess finished her off - now how could I have avoided that - I was leaving her feet alone, as she was on grass and the packed mud was supporting her frog as she was so flat footed and dropped.

You can beat yourself up about it all the time, I had her 11 years, she had her first bout 18 months in, then another big one in 2006/7, then her poisoning, then her leg injury new year's eve, we had a lot going on with her, and kept faith with her and kept her going as long as I think/hope she wanted us to. Who knows. I just think on that particular day, when she was in pain, holding a leg up, and the only option was long journey, surgery, box rest, we did the right thing for her.

newrider.com