rising to a bouncy high gaited trot

rabbit

Devoted Clydie X owner
Anyone have any tips for riding a bouncy trot? My new Clydie X has a high leg action when trotting, which looks great, but I can't seem to adjust to it.

I end up with my feet jammed into the stirrups and generally bouncing all over the place :(

I tried shortening the stirrups to help me rise higher, but I feel like I lose too much leg contact with the horse, which just adds to the whole unbalanced feeling.

I am a competent rider and have no trouble whatsoever rising or sitting to the trot on other horses. I suspect that given enough time I will finally work it out, but if anyone can suggest anything to help, I would be most grateful.

I sort of have the same problem, the mare I ride sometimes goes right into a rack like trot! :p I find that squeezing below the knee, but above the foot (I'm don't know what it's called :rolleyes: ) helps. Maybe you should try rising without stirrups, that helps a lot with trotting too.
Hope this helped.

Go bareback for a couple of rides. In my opinion, if your having trouble in a saddle, it will be well woerth it if you get used to her action bareback, wether you go with a sitting trot or a posting trot. I've been going bareback for so long that I can adjust myself to every new horse I've ridden so far, so this could help you get used to the new motion faster and easier.

A lot of it is down to getting a feel for it - try concentrating on slowing his trot down a bit to begin with just so you start to get used to the action. Go for a few strides at a time, and make your priority not to rise too high. The biggest problem I've found with horses that trot like that is that they tend to throw you out of the saddle so high that you're no longer in control. If you can keep your upward movement to a minimum it does help.

It's basically building up strength in your thighs and seat and getting used to absorbing the extra bounce. Another thing I was told to do many years ago was to stand in the stirrups with my seat just out of the saddle - that's actually pretty good for improving your legs' abilities to absorb movement! Stand for a few strides, then rise for a few, stand for a few again.

I have a very bouncy-trotting horse as well, and first lessons on him were horrible.. I thought I'd never be able to ride him. But all I can say - it get's incredibly better with time. You will get accustomed quite fast to these gaits, don't worry.
Actually, raising higher won't help, he will just bounce you out of the saddle, if you are too high up. the closer you stay to the horse, the better. Perhaps, try riding in dressage saddle, if there is a possibility. This does change the feeling at least a bit. And what I have found out from my experience, with these "uncomfortable" horses, a good, comfortable saddle is very important.
BTW, how old and experienced is the horse? if he is a youngster, part of the bouncyness might result from the horse lacking his own stability and balance. Which is also curable :)

I've had my ID x Clyde mare for 14 months and I found her trot a real problem for several months :eek: Its true, as a couple of people have already said, that rising too high excaserbates the problem. but if you rise at the same rate, but lower you end up out of synchrony with the movement :eek: So think about rising front to back and further back than usual. I thought I'd never get it it, but this really worked! You probably will benefit from having your stirrups shorter initially. Like you, I felt a lack of leg, but it was necassary to get on top of the problem. Once you have the movement, they can come down a little again.

My ability to ride a good trot and improve her trot was later greatly helped by buying a dressage saddle, so I'd recomend that too.

newrider.com