Robinsons - Basingstoke

Kc Mac

Aug 22, 2008
Has anyone been to the new Robinsons store in Basingstoke yet?

We went on Saturday and have to admit was rather disappointed :( It was much smaller than i expected and the few things I wanted they didn't have. Their prices were actually quite high compared to some other tack shops within the same hours drive from us.

However it was lovely walking round seeing so many horsey bits and bobs under one roof :D They seem to have stepped up the amount of driving equipment with lots of carts/traps/vehicles they sell. they even had a trailer in store Also popped into the nosebag cafe!

I also liked the funky box type thing with a horse head stuck on for people to sit on whilst trying out body protectors :eek::D

Ruskii and I went in the first week it opened. It had a lot of space but not as much selection as I was hoping for, especially as I wanted jods but there wasn't much unless you wanted own brand stuff.

I also wanted muckers for my little girl and I and there wasn't much lower end choice there either.

Mind you, they did have all the greenguard stuff so I was pleased to be able to look at that off the shelf and buy what I needed.

I'm still glad we went and I came out having spent a lot less than I thought I might. I suspect that between the 3 or 4 horsey place near me have a much wider selction on most things.

I went Easter Monday. Its quite hard to find for a Numpty like me, and my Sat Nav and I agreed to disagree. I also bought a new Sat Nav last week as other one acidentally met the tyre of my car GRRRRRRRR
Im a driver so it was lovely to see the carriages and I loved the Shetland one. Not much driving gear other than them and whips , but bring it on!
I got some great rug bargains musto and saxon for the boys, nice own brand jods, some mini dressage cones and a few bits of tosh. Staff in the cafe were great to chat too, and keen to hear clients views. Store needs to be bigger, aisles wider and more stock. But overall well worth a visit.

Not impressed...

I went on Good Friday on the way to visit my mum (but if she asks we were stuck in traffic). It was the first day of the sale and we got there about 5pm - I am sure if there had been any organisation to the rugs whatsoever I might have ended up spending more but it was totally disorganised with rugs all over the floor and in massive bins that were piled so high even a seasoned sale shopper like myself struggled with them..

But I did get the jodphurs I wanted, some cheap leadropes and some other bits and pieces but to be honest I don't think I would drive over if there wasn't a sale on or if I wasn't going past, I can get to Surrey Equestrian quicker for a similar range of products and in most cases better prices...

I can get to Surrey Equestrian quicker for a similar range of products and in most cases better prices...

Yep i agree on Surrey Equestrian! Its the same distance as Robinsons from me and bulk buy my feed from there as it is so much cheaper :D They regularly have sale stuff and their general range has improved greatly :)

Have to agree with most of the comments, I only live 20 mins from the store but won't be going reguarly. The local tack shops are as cheap on most things, and Robinsons seemed to be full of there own brand mainly.

Usual gripe with most tack shops " Not much for blokes " :confused: but hey thats nothing new. Any way I got my pennies saved up for lots of shopping at Badminton :D

Kev

I am only about 8 miles away but only got round to going last weekend and was quite dissapointed really. Robbies always seemed like a bit of a mecca in my head. I am glad I never went to the effort of organising a trip to one of the other stores in the past if Basingstoke is supposed to be the most impressive!
Having said that I still managed to spend a fair bit of money! may go again if there is a sale on. agree with the comment about the rug bin, I also went later on in the afternoon and stock was all over the place, not just rugs but boots and everything out of its box. Very annoying!

Have to agree with most of the comments, I only live 20 mins from the store but won't be going reguarly. The local tack shops are as cheap on most things, and Robinsons seemed to be full of there own brand mainly.

Usual gripe with most tack shops " Not much for blokes " :confused: but hey thats nothing new. Any way I got my pennies saved up for lots of shopping at Badminton :D

Kev
have noticed that as well,as only buy male clothing for the looser fit-robinsons latest catelogue seems the worst,almost certain they had a lot more male stuff in last seasons catelogue.

what about having a shop on ebay,selling rider gear especially for males?

volcy,
dont think the messyness and no organisation of stuff is a usual view of what robinsons is like-but its very normal for robinsons during sales and school holidays-the worst thing to do is visit when its during those,as they have so many lazy people messing it all up,that staff cant keep up with- and new stuff doesnt get put out as quick so may never find what are after,it is so much better during non sale/quieter times.

~The one up my way is the same... Always get excited when I go to visit as its an hour away or so, and always look on website before I go to see what I want, and only once have they had what I wanted :mad: Their rope halters and lunge lines were neigh impossible to find if the had them in (never found them) and lunge lines I would think are a popular product.

Robinsons:confused:?? Went a couple of times, NEVER had what I wanted:rolleyes:... NEVER!! AGAIN:eek:!!
Waste of time, fuel, and money.. not impressed:rolleyes:.. sticking to my local Aladdin's cave;):D

newrider.com