room 101 add yours

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Social Media, used for the wrong reasons.

There was an accident adjacent to my place. It involved a lot of the emergency services. The crowd began to grow as they would naturally. I think we are by nature "Nosy parkers!"

However this turned into a huge volume of people because it had been put on a well known social media site.
The local paper picked it up-because again they have their own page and it's getting shared. So we now have our own little group of unpaid reporters with phones!

Now if this same volume of people were looking for a missing child that's different imo.

Another example. Instead of helping, people are actually filming accidents!!
Are we actually human these days, what has gone wrong with us.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-slam-bystanders-who-filmed-7274808

On the social media theme, I really really really can't stand do gooders who undertake to organise a fundraising exercise for a 'friend' who has experienced some misfortune (e.g. They slipped on a banana peel and lost a contact lense). Who are the muppets who donate? And why the hell does the person who organised the fundraising (but probably didn't donate themselves) take all the glory of helping some idiot who didn't get insurance?!
Sorry, harsh I know, but if you've had a misfortune you don't go begging with your hand out to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

That reminds me of the Ice Bucket Challenge which I believe was meant to be for charity.
I had people nominating me and I'm not even on the sites they got this from!
:confused:

And that phone footage will end up on the news being shown to the nation who will then think that filming an incident is a better choice than trying to help.

Another way of looking at it... I recently helped a motorcyclist who had been hit by a car. The motorcyclist (who had a broken leg so unable to move) asked another member of the public to take some pictures for him of the accident scene in case he needed them for evidence in court. If the papers had got hold of that information they would of told everyone that he was taking pictures instead of helping because that makes a better story perhaps.

And that phone footage will end up on the news being shown to the nation who will then think that filming an incident is a better choice than trying to help.

Another way of looking at it... I recently helped a motorcyclist who had been hit by a car. The motorcyclist (who had a broken leg so unable to move) asked another member of the public to take some pictures for him of the accident scene in case he needed them for evidence in court. If the papers had got hold of that information they would of told everyone that he was taking pictures instead of helping because that makes a better story perhaps.

Yes good point, if you have a phone with a camera then it's a good idea taking pics for insurance purposes.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I remember shouting at the telly once during a "Phone footage" scene, ....

"Put the effing phone down, stop filming and HElP the poor sods"
The comments that get left online are in some cases vile and disgusting.
I believe all newspapers allow you to communicate on their page, obviously no one moderates it.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Oh nasty accident poor ladies.

I hate and would love to put in room 101 those fb posts that state I want to see who actually reads my post copy and paste just add a word on how we meet blaaarrrr bllarrrr blarrrrr.

Guess what delete me. I don't think I have actually asked anyone to be 'my friend' on fb so you must of looked me up and asked me!

I'm not on fb. For me I feel if you want to stay in touch you are.
I'm here, have an email, a phone, a postbox. My friends know at least one of these.

I hear so many negative things about fb I just wouldn't fancy being on there. I remember at our old house - some folk I knew nearby had a falling out and I am sure it escalated more due to fb. Apparently they had slanging matches on there on a regular basis! It turned quite nasty.

I have friends and family all over the world. FB is great for that. It is also useful for groups: the tri club, the British Riding Club I am part of, the cycling club - even the livery yard has a FB page and within that lots of groups like Shavings Club for when we need to put a big order in, Social Group for going out, Hacking Group for organising rides out. I can see it could go wrong but no-one is ever left out of any group. All the local trainers advertise upcoming clinics etc on FB too. So I use it all the time.

So many things I'd add to Room 101. The new world order of white, misogynistic, entitled, ultra right-wing, climate change denying males running everything (this genuinely terrifies me.) People eating disgustingly. Bad drivers. My sister's love life. Energy drinks. Parents who don't actually parent their kids. I could go on at length but won't!

I find social media really useful for work so have a love/hate relationship with it!

I'd have to put trashy television in I'm afraid!!

I'm a celebrity, big brother, the apprentice, the chase, hollyoaks, tipping point and I hate to say it but great British bake off!

TV you have an off button. Some I like some not.
Watching films to be honest as most is rubbish I agree.

@squidsin the amount of parents I see on the phone and not interactive with the child is scary. I think we will get to a point where phones will be banned from the shops!
People checking the bloody thing in the isles and still pushing a trolley.
We survived the 70's and 80's with it on a wall, the world hasn't suddenly become more unsafe that kids "need" them.

Reactions: squidsin
newrider.com