room for shetlands??

chaz&murph

Mar 26, 2008
Swansea, South Wales
After a bad fall i lost complete confidence and had to sell my 15.2 youngster as he needed someone a lot more confident to bring him to his full potential.

Anyway I now miss having horses in my life but don't wish to ride anymore. Im pondering with getting two shetlands for me and my daughter to have fun with together and with the possibility of driving them in the future.

When I had Murphy he was kept on his own (which I hated) cos we didn't have enough grazing to keep two together as the field is only 1.5 acres (roughly) and clay so would get very muddy in winter. Would this amount of land be enough to keep two shetlands together happily.

There is a 10 x10 stable on the field which would be left open for them to come in and out when then wanted, and stabled together overnight in only the worst weather.

Ive owned horses for 20 years but these would be my first shetlands.

The Button Mushrooms say that would make them happy ;) ;) You could happily divide that in two, so long as the ponies were in regular work to keep them occupied, then have summer and winter grass.

27feb09-009028-15.jpg

:D Fab piccie Wally !

I love shetlands; 1 and half acres is loads for two; I would keep them on half an acre in spring/summer don't forget they live on virtually nothing that time of year, and you will have an acre for winter.

Let us know how you get on!

Wally will you please stop posting pics of the Button Mushrooms, if only I was closer to you, ive even had a sneaky look on your website.

Oh Im really excited now, although probably will be the first time I'd have to worry about too much grass :rolleyes:

I won't be buying for approx 12 months cos I want to find someone who can show me the driving ropes. I have a little driving experience but that was more in a groom capacity years ago and I need to brush up to be in charge.

The grass is my field is just starting to grow since murphy left cos he more or less ate it all down to the bone over the winter. Im going to re-seed it cos there is loads of bare patches and I was going to fertilise it, would I be better not fertilising leaving it a bit rougher so as not to make the grass too lush for the little monsters.

Personally I would leave it, I never touch mine, it doesn't get rolled, harrowed, fertilized, nothing!
I've always got far too much grass, and have to have it topped every month in the spring/summer. It gets left from around end of August to grow long; much better for them and it saves the field from getting churned up too quickly in the winter; I have clay too :mad:

One thing...why on earth are your chooks in the sand school?! :p Odd animals. I love you button mushrooms. Lots, actually.

Anddd....I highly doubt you'd need to stable at night over bad weather, or even rug, unless they were particularly weedy ones.

Perhaps you should train them to ride, it could be your party piece...I've seen your photos with your dogs....chooks next!! :D

Out of interest, what colour do the BM's go in summer? Or are they roughly the same, but less 'giant fluffball of cuddleness'?

Personally I would leave it, I never touch mine, it doesn't get rolled, harrowed, fertilized, nothing!
I've always got far too much grass, and have to have it topped every month in the spring/summer. It gets left from around end of August to grow long; much better for them and it saves the field from getting churned up too quickly in the winter; I have clay too :mad:

That sounds a lot easier :D Im loving these little rufty tufty's more and more.

The hens, once the horses are settled in harness, are an excellent de-spooking tool. The flap about and the horses get used to things appearing and flapping about and become laid back about stuff.

One for Louki too, this is AJ being taunted by Fraser, I think! Frasers impression of a perfect little knight of the chess board!

chesspiece.jpg

HAVE AT HIM!!!!

Oooh, wellard pony.

I just wouldn't be able to take the poor lad seriously!!! Look at his cute little tucked up leggies! I swear he could eat my hand and I would just be like awwwwwwwwww look at the little teeth marks! How c-yooottt :D

AJ has a very notable bottom! You could bite it!....and many (ponies) do! :D :D

Are you trying to say my cute little man has a big behind !! *makes mental note to assess aj on arrival and decide if he needs diet monitoring as well as membership to the local gym*

Shame lol. Wonder who's going to get picked on when Aj leaves !

Not a big bottom Louki, just a lovely biteable bottom.

Snoggin has a bottom you could bite, Olaf has a very disappointing bottom.

newrider.com