Rs-tor

Because with a saddle strap it's tough to keep holding it at the same time you are holding the reins (correctly with your hands aligned as if you didn't have a saddle strap in hand
I can see the advantages to this design. It jsut seems quite pricey so am wondering how the people felt that actually used one?

I'm not taken by them really. Personally think that if you are going to fall off, you're going to fall off! - when balance has gone and gravity takes over a simple strap to grab onto is not going to keep you in the saddle. I often ride with a neckstrap for security and have had the presence of mind to grab for it on a few occasions yet still ended up on the floor. I have never had a near-miss that was saved by grabbing onto something.

Mine was hand-made by NoAngel for considerably less than the "real" thing and it is still in one piece attached to the stirrup D-rings on my saddle - it fared better than me!! I prefer it for the reason you describe, Karin, in that it is a permanent reassurance that I hold along with my reins but doesn't interfere with general riding or alter my position. For your average spook or evasion it's fab - it slammed me back in the saddle when Jack was spooked by a pheasant and it also meant that I didn't jab him in the mouth. My reactions wouldn't have been quick enough to reach for a neck-strap on that occasion.... besides, he has such a thick neck and big shoulders that it's almost out of reach up his neck where it sits anyway.

A trained rodeo rider wouldn't have sat what Maisey did! :giggle:

Sorry DD rings neck straps? no idea. Get yourself a good position and you wont need one. Just my opinion. Hanging on to any kind of neck strap after first riding lesson would seem nuts to me, what does any one think a neck strap is going to achieve exactly?

Sorry DD rings neck straps? no idea. Get yourself a good position and you wont need one. Just my opinion. Hanging on to any kind of neck strap after first riding lesson would seem nuts to me, what does any one think a neck strap is going to achieve exactly?

What a load of cr@p. I know plenty of professional riders that use them, my best friend rides for a very well know racehorse trainer and has done for many years and everyone uses neck straps there, I wouldn't ride a new horse without one that's for sure. I always ride my boy in a breastplate so I have something to grab and in regards to my position I can sit some pretty athletic buck from my boy so there's no issue there. Your post is very foolhardy.

Well daughter and I still put neckstraps on projects, babies and anything likely to be explosive, however I have only been riding for about 50 years so obviously not yet acquired a good position!!

They will not keep you on, (in the wrong circumstances nothing will) but they give you a fighting chance. Daughter can hang off cossack style if a horse seriously misbehaves and recover her position, would not happen without neck strap!!

Get yourself a good position and you wont need one. Just my opinion. Hanging on to any kind of neck strap after first riding lesson would seem nuts to me, what does any one think a neck strap is going to achieve exactly?

Lol. Brilliant! Reminds me of when my -new to riding- OH told me: "Helmet? I don't need a helmet! If she runs off with me I will just hold on to the saddle horn until she gets tired!"
(sadly when he did lose control the horse ended up having more stamina to keep going than he had holding on. he broke a few ribs and has been wearing a helmet ever since. lol)

So geesh either holding on to the saddle horn or -even better!- just riding in a good position will keep you from falling off... don't you wonder why all of the riders that have ever fallen off a horse didn't think of this? :giggle:

They are also great for stopping riders inadvertently pulling the mouth when unbalanced by a spook etc.

I have a lead rope tied round ponies neck (clipped to combo bridle) for this (amongst other) purposes. I won't go anywhere without the lead rope - it is incredibly useful!

They are also great for stopping riders inadvertently pulling the mouth when unbalanced by a spook etc.

I was thinking that might be the case!

The only reason I think this rs-tor idea is pretty neat (as compared to a lead rope or neck strap or saddle strap) is that it's so unobtrusive you could just keep it in your hand (similarly to a dressage whip) the whole time and not have to remember in the heat of the moment to grab for it. If you tried to hold on to a saddle strap continuously it would seem it would affect your position and ability to use your hands correctly.

I have one and it gives me a lot more confidence. As said, advantage over neck strap etc is that you hold it all the time with reins held as normal.

As others have said, they're great for riding babies or sensitive horses, if they put in a spook or have a small paddy it means you have something to hang on to so you don't pull their mouths. I used this in the early days of backing Inca as we would very often get cyclists wizzing by the side of the school so meant I could relax and ride forward without worrying that I would jab her in the mouth....nine times out of ten they made me jump too!

I've also used them once or twice on horses where you have to sit tight and wait for them to stop flailing around, then ride forwards.

I'm by no means a perfect rider, but my position is pretty good and I've got a sticky bum (you watch me fall off now I've said that :giggle:) but have still found them handy in a minute of need.

Tina if a neckstrap is good enough for William Fox-Pitt then it is good enough for me LOL. I've looked at the R-Stors at shows and can't quite fathom out how they would work. If it helps just one rider feel more confident or stops them having a fall then that has to be good I think.

I've tried a similar one and found it too cumbersome so would prefer something thinner should I ever get one. Reason being I carry a crop ALL the time.
As for neck straps, I love one for jumping personally, obviously I cant ride either. Saves me jerking or pulling as my lad jumps tiny x poles like its Beechers bloody Brook!
EML, hats off to your daughter for cossack stylee! I'm too old for that nonsense!

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to put the neck strap YO gave me on...maybe would fall off less in the school if I remembered to use it :giggle: I am very concious of pulling her mouth so quite often throw myself off into a heap rather than fling my hands in the air holding the reins...but i admit i'm crap and only manage to sit 9 out of 10 spinning spooks from her :biggrin:

I always put a neck strap on. It gives me the feeling that I am 'holding on' which prevents me pulling on his mouth. Ben rarely spooks and (so far) has never spun around, but I like to think that if he did I might be able to grab it and hold on. I can't see that there is any harm in him wearing it.

I like the look of the RStor but it costs £45! I am also a bit worried that I might confuse it with the rein. I can't cope with too many things to think about at the same time!

newrider.com