Rubber bits

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I need to find something so I have some brakes. Currently ridden in a Mullen rubber which has d-rings on the sides. But we have very limited brakes which means I'm losing my nerve a little as I get tanked off with. It's becoming dangerous.
I previously tried a rubber Pelham but it was too wide and very heavy in his mouth for a young horse. He also tossed his head so badly he nearly headbutting me several times on the hack. He found it so uncomfortable and could not concerntrate. That was a year ago mind. He has broaden in his face as well. Im going to try it on him again but I fear it is not suitable.
I tried him back in a metal hanging cheek last week to do a polework session in the field and he hated it. Constantly chomping it on his teeth, swinging his head round all over the place. Next day I put him back in the rubber Mullen to do the polework session and he was so relaxed but I had no brakes. I have a happy mouth snaffle which has long shanks on the side but I feel that didnt previously give me brakes. I'm going to try him in it again next week so maybe a happy mouth of some other description might be a consideration.
He was previously ok in a metal bit, but I changed to a rubber as it is supposed to be kinder. I think he is more comfortable in the rubber overall. I should also add, one of his canine teeth was well thorough in October when the vet did his teeth, the other was there and we could feel under the skin was just as big, but i checked a few days ago and has still not erupted. Could this also have an effect on the fact he doesnt seem to like the metal bit.
I need some ideas on bits to help with some brakes. Last weeks funride in the rubber Mullen was quite scary with no brakes.

If he likes the rubber mullen have you tried him in a metal mullen? What was the mouthpiece on the hanging cheek?

Yes, the unerrupted tooth could be an issue & it may be worth speaking to the vet about it as I'd have expected it to be through by now.

No I haven't got a metal Mullen. The hanging cheek is just a jointed metal. I've got a hanging cheek with a French link which I drive chunky in, yet to try on Billy.
I've just read that some canines erupt at 5 and other as late as 6+. Hes just turned 7 maybe even 71/2. So its may account for the bit. Hes the sort of horse that I think would object to anything in his mouth it was causing pain. Ive been thinking him getting strong on me was him trying it on. Especially as 7 is the worst age for the teen tantrums but I'm starting to wonder if it's more evasion to pain. The vet didnt seem worried that it wasn't through but were another 6 months on since his check up.
I've been retraining him on the places we canter, to walk and trot and only when calm is he allowed to canter. It was going well and my half halts were working but now there not and hes fighting me.

I'd suspect it's the joint he's objecting to rather than the metal. If you can borrow a mullen one that would be my first try since he obviously accepts that mouthpiece. Otherwise I'd try the French link, maybe with some latex bit wrap over it to slightly soften it and reduce the movement of the joints.

Is he sore if you touch on & around that tooth? Does the gum look sore? Also remember a jointed bit will sit differently in the mouth so once it's in gently peel his lips back and have a look where it's acting.

newrider.com