Rubber matting smell!

Orenoko

Feb 13, 2017
So I bought some rubber matting for my house rabbits a few days ago, as they're chewing their current flooring and have seen loads of people using rubber instead. Only problem is it smells so strong I can't stand to have it in the house! :confused: I knew it would be a bit smelly but it's overpowering! I've looked some things up online and have tried them:

Soaking in warm water
Washing with dishwashing liquid
Scrubbing with bicarbonate of soda

I've read online that fieldguard green gloop is also quite handy and what tends to be used in the equestrian world. Can anyone recommend it? Or any other alternatives? I know the smell would fade given time, but I can't inflict it as is on my poor house rabbits, or myself lol. :eek:

Any tips gratefully received!

You might have better luck with closed cell foam, its less stinky and the closed cells means it won't absorb urine etc.
@Jessey thanks I might have to look into this, at the moment I have foam squares that interlock but they are chewing them which is why I need something else, this could be a good alternative!

Reactions: Jessey
If you can find some 2nd rubber matting a good clean would take away any horsey or other smells and clean them for you and you will find you dont have that new rubber smell. Sadly it is a case of it fades over time though i know some are worse than others! Good luck :)

newrider.com