rubbish lesson -feeling low.

nelsonsmum

Nov 1, 2007
Lincoln
:confused:Had a rubbish lesson today, I was behind the movement in trot. Kept tipping forwards and then trying to compensate by leaning too far back when asking for downward transitions. Generally just felt like I had learned nothing at all. Spent most of lesson walking around feeling like a complete loser. My RI says I am trying too hard and did say the horse made her work really hard but I still feel like I am just kidding myself that I will ever be good enough to own my own horse. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? Is it just a practice thing?

cast your mind back when you were learning to drive - didnt you have some good lessons folowed by ones where you behaved as if you had never seen a car before - or was that just me - ive owned my horse for 3 yrs & yesterday wasnt capoable of even being on the right diagonal when trotting - learning isnt just a curve its more like a roller coaster - next time will be better

Things will get better, I promise. Hopefully sooner rather than later for your sake. But it really does take those bad days to really appreciate the good days.

I'm feeling pretty rubbish too atm, but it's the thought of what i'm going to feel when I achieve something that's giving me the motivation to continue!

Chin up chick. :)
x

Oh yes, we've all had those days but you do get through them and you do come out the other side.

The best advice I had was to try and see each problem as something to work on so if I had a horse who was making me work too hard I'd try and think about how I could make him/her do more of the work. It gives you a focus and even a small improvement is better than coming away feeling overall crappy. It didn't take the bad days away but changing my outlook certainly helped to limit them somewhat.

It may be worth asking your RI if you can ride a slightly more forward thinking horse next time just so that you don't start off with negative feelings and will also mean that you can do more work on you rather than just trying to keep the horse going.

They only have a couple of horses that can cope with my weight (I am a bit of a fatty), one is the one I rode today and the other is a working livery whose owner rides on Sundays. Keep thinking maybe should buy my own to learn on. Maybe I have more money than sense. Thanks for all the positive comments.

I find I feel a bit of a fool after most lessons. A young thing (young enough to be my daughter!) telling me what to do and then shouting at me when I get it abundantly wrong. End up feeling about three years old. Makes me feel quite empathetic to my kids.

hello

:confused:Had a rubbish lesson today, I was behind the movement in trot. Kept tipping forwards and then trying to compensate by leaning too far back when asking for downward transitions. Generally just felt like I had learned nothing at all. Spent most of lesson walking around feeling like a complete loser. My RI says I am trying too hard and did say the horse made her work really hard but I still feel like I am just kidding myself that I will ever be good enough to own my own horse. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? Is it just a practice thing?

are you always on the same horse?
also if the saddle doesnt fit properly (english)it can make you lean back on transitions and such.i wouldnt be so hard on yourself theres other factors that can influence this into happening.plus we all make mistacke dont we.

Hey - I was watching a group of experienced riders - including one of the RIs - having a lesson on Saturday - out of 6 of them only one managed actually to ride a 3 loop serpentine out and a 3 loop serpentine back with half the loops in canter and the other half in trot! The other 5 were rubbish!

So everyone has bad days and good days !

Hi Nelsonsmum: We all have our bad days and sometimes we have a few in a row, then you have 1 good one and it all seems worth it. You will have various epiphanies through your lessons, try and draw from those instead of letting the negative overcome all the positive things you have done and are yet to do.

Rather wait until you are confident in your riding before acquiring a horse. I have come back into riding after many years of not riding and in hindsight, I should have waited. Owning a horse has a whole lot of other stresses. Right now, you need to concentrate on you.

I know this sounds odd but wear your favourite perfume when you go for a lesson, it gives you a boost of confidence because you feel good about yourself.

Hi Suzanne2,

You should never be shouted at, that's not the way to teach and it will be difficult for you to learn because all you are concentrating on is not being shouted at. I had an instructor once that I am sure was a Banshee in disguise - I had some of the worst lessons in my life and felt constantly anxious. I then moved to another instructor - wow, what a difference! He was calm and thought about things. If one thing did not work, he would try something else - even to the point of climbing on the horse and demonstrating. I learned so much from him! Find someone that makes you feel confident.

I had one yesterday.
I was doing some jumping with Katey and she was jumping perfectly and I kept getting left behind and almost falling off- thank god Katey stands still whilst I'm trying to get back in the saddle!
Kaey was starting to get fed up with me so I put her over a xpole and went for a hack! We'd only been jumping for about 30mins. We went for a really fast gallop!!

Lol, seems like you need to stand in queue for the Rubbish Lessons Brigade! We all have them and I am no exception.

I still cannot feel my diagonals and have to have a quick peep. I've tried on numerous horses, but for the life of me, I cannot feel them. I want to do some dressage eventually, but I need to feel rather than look. On Thursday, my instructor (also my friend) kept shouting, 'wrong diagonal.' So don't feel bad - perhaps we should all wear a badge saying 'crap lesson today!'

Me too!

Hi Nelsonsmum, i am waiting for a rubbish lesson cos i've had too many good ones in a row! Seriously - every time i try to learn something else, my legs go wrong, or i forget to steer cos i'm concentrating on the new thing too much! Feels like 1 step forwrd , two back!

I know how you feel about only having a limited number of horses to learn on too - i'm trying to lose weight so there is only currently 1 horse i can ride at my RS, which has got me longing for a horse of my own to learn /practice on! Not sure if this is a good idea, but i'll try to hang on a bit!

Let us know how you get on!

Maxine x

I find I feel a bit of a fool after most lessons. A young thing (young enough to be my daughter!) telling me what to do and then shouting at me when I get it abundantly wrong. End up feeling about three years old. Makes me feel quite empathetic to my kids.

They're not supposed to shout, and they're not supposed to make you feel a fool.

Any RI who can't see when you're making improvements, however small, is a waste of space ...

Well, OK, there are times when they need to shout: like when you're leaning forward and you should be sitting up, or when you're heading for the wrong jump, or when your horse is about to dive for the gate ... That sort of thing. But they shouldn't shout at you for getting it wrong - you're not getting it wrong on purpose, are you? That's just rubbish teaching. In fact, it's not teaching, it's just rubbish.:rolleyes:

Good reply Linda - but were you really awake at 2.00 a.m.? Hope you are OK

Glad you agree with me, Skib. Because I'm a teacher, and because I've been involved in so many different kinds of teaching and learning in my life, this is something that makes me really cross. I remember feeling quite depressed in a lesson once - it was my second or third lesson with this RI, and I just felt as if I wanted to cry and get off the horse and go home. Yet nothing was going particularly wrong - and I realised that she never ever praised anyone: it was all criticism, not unfriendly, just "Don't do that, do this" and never a "well done" or a "yes, that's what I mean". I told her about it afterwards, and she seemed quite interested and said she'd take it on board, but I never went back to see.

Thanks for the concern too - I'm fine. Just doing a lot of work on the computer at the moment, and coming in here tends to be a winding-down activity before I go to bed. I keep trying to get to bed earlier, but I tend to get involved in things at around midnight. Then of course, I lose the mornings .... That's bad.

Hey :D

Sorry to hear about your bad lesson, but everyone has em.
To me, when the horse is a bit of a plod or a nag to get moving, you feel like you're riding even worse - well I do anyway, but I'm just weird :rolleyes:

You WILL be good enough to own a horse - all the top riders and horse owners were once in the same position as you are now :)

Hi, really sorry you had a bad lesson. I get them nearly all the time. I know how you feel, last week I felt so bad, I posted a thread on how bad a rider I felt and couldn't stop crying while I wrote it. The gorgeous, fabulous people on this forum really gave me to will to carry on. I had the exact same problem, I would always tip forward at trot and canter and then over compensate, I do still do it sometimes when I panic. I had private lessons and especially lunge lessons to go right back to basics and work on developing a strong position (still a work in progress). I get days when I feel like I should quit, I progress a lot slower than other people, but the support I've had from this forum have made me feel worthwhile again. I'm just aiming to be the best rider I can be for the horse I hope to have one day. Lunge lessons might work for you as you can work on your position to prevent tipping forward. I really hope everything gets better soon, we're all with you and it will get better.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I love horses and riding too much to give up so I will just have to put it down to a bad day and get on. I think we are planning some lunge lessons when they have a suitable horse for me.

newrider.com