Rubbish News LL has been retired

Libbylou

Jan 20, 2010
Norfolk and good
Sad news on fri LL decided to cut her legs in the field, so got the vet out and mentioned I didnt feel she was herself recently. Struggling to get up, stiff, grumpy, rearing and a lump under her chest.....

Vet has said she has nurological problems possibly affecting her brain hence the rearing and acting like the shutters have gone down, her front legs are splaying out and the back end doesnt look like its attached to the front.

She adviced no more riding, becareful in the stable / on the ground and left me with two weeks bute and a weeks antibiotics, saying there are further test but cant cure anything and age is not on her side and to have a think as to when to PTS :cry:

Poor old girl seems to have gone down hill in a week and just isnt her self. I think to be kind to her she will have a few more weeks to graze and then I have to call it time, such a shame the weather isnt warmer but dont think she will be comfortable for that long.

I was gutted as this summer was the summer to really get hacking, getting my riding better and gaining confidence, instead its having her PTS and going through the hell of finding something else before going insane.

Am so sorry to read your post but you're doing the best thing for her in the long run. Its a horrible thing to have to do, i've been there before and will be there again soon with Archie. Hugs x

Oh that is really sad. So sorry to hear that. :( Hope the vet is wrong and it is something else.

gosh, that is awful news, my thoughts really are with you. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling

:( LL thats so sad - I know how it feels to have that after our scare the other week :(

Did they listen to her heart or take bloods etc? Just asking as a lot of your problems we had - rearing, grumping for no reason, co ordination issues, lethargy, lump on chest - vet thought madam was in organ failure, but was a severe allergic reaction - now on steroids three weeks later and just starting to recover.

lots and lots of hugs coming your way, youve done her proud (((hugs)))) xxxxx

Last edited:
LibbyLou I am so so sorry to hear this, particularly after your uphill battle you've had together. You are being very very brave and a true inspiration as to how we should put our animals first in awful times like this - as horrendously hard as it is.

I myself did not do this (looking back) with my beloved cat and instead put him through hell trying to make him better, and I really regret it now.

I wish there was something more I could say to make this better....

((((((HUGS)))))))

They didnt do blood tests but did lots of tests for her mobility etc, i think its called the mayhew test. The vet who came to see her has a wobbler herself so is quite clued up.

Im awaiting for her to call me back to give me some more info but i think will ask for blood tests, however she is acting quite dangerously at the moment which really worries me.

I really feel for you. this is why i had to have my indi pts. If it is neurological then i dont think there are mant tests they can do to determin it. its basically testing to rule out anything else. Big hugs, im sure you will do what is best for LL.

LibbyLou I am so so sorry to hear this, particularly after your uphill battle you've had together. You are being very very brave and a true inspiration as to how we should put our animals first in awful times like this - as horrendously hard as it is....

Couldn't have said it better, thoughts are with you, very sad xxxx

SO sorry to read this. :( But you have done so well with her, and given her a lovely home. You are making a brave decision.

I had an old horse who developed a neurological condition quite suddenly. He 'leaned' really far over to one side, and ended up walking like a crab. Then he suddenly got better, the vet even suggested gentle riding again. Before I had chance, he went downhill, leaning the other way. :( It was bizarre. :( He was the gentlest old lad, who became a danger to himself and all around him. The children on the yard loved him, and always wanted to groom him, it was heartbreaking telling them they had to keep away from him, as he could suddenly lose his balance and fall against a wall or fence. I had to have him PTS. :(

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.

I have followed your journey with LL since I first found NR. I'm thinking of you and your beatiful girl xxx

That's awful after all you been through together. Give her a great quality of life for whatever she has left and make her happy. x

newrider.com