Ruby not herself and I can't understand why..

Ruby_Tuesday

Oct 11, 2009
Cumbria
It all started yesterday morning. I led her out from stable to feild and she did a little mini rear as we left the yard. Totally unruby like behaviour but I thought she was maybe just a little excited to be going out. When I went to bring her in last night she was really really quiet, her ears kept going back (again unlike Ruby, she's normally ears forward and very nosy). Put her in for the night and gave her a groom and she still wasn't right. No stiffness, new injuries (she was kicked above the hock last week but it was a superficial graze, nothing serious and healing nicely), or any temperature change.

I decided to leave her in this morning because her feildmate was staying in and so I could nip back at dinner time to check on her. When I did she had sweated up but with no sign of stress or colic. I phoned my horsey mate who came over to look at her and we decided to turn her out because there was no other signs of discomfort and we thought she had stressed herself out because she hadn't been turned out. SHe did her usual post stable roll in the feild, shook, grazed and was quite happy. Brought her in tonight and she was more her usual self but still not quite the Ruby I know. Can't explain it but you know your own horse don't you? She's eating her hay, and hadn't sweated up when I checked at 7pm, but I'm still puzzled.

The only factor that might explain it is that we went for a super long hack on Sunday and did some hill work, nothing extravagent but a step up from our normal hacking routine and she did have to put in more effort, could this have triggered off something? You know yourself if you do something a bit more energetic then you feel the after effects the day after. I can't find any discomfort when I massaged her tonight after grooming, I did all along the spine and back/neck and she was practically sleeping lol. Am I being paranoid?

Sorry for being so long, I know I worry but I just know something isn't right. :eek:

I would totally agree that if you know your Horse you know when
something is not quite right.

I heard a Vet say something to somebody one day years ago that has ALWAYS remained with me and that was 'Animals never lie about
being ill'

Maybe/Hopefully she is just a little stiff from the hack and just having an off day.

Don't think you can do anymore than you are doing tbh, just keep an
eye on her and maybe mention to your Yard friends that you are a little
concerned and ask them to just keep an eye on her for a few days, especially
if people are up there at different times of the day. I would certainly be extra vigilent, as you are doing really, regarding signs
of 'low grade/spasmodic' colic.

I guess even Horses have 'off' days like us:)

Hope she is back to her usual self soon.

Last edited:
passing normal amount of droppings?
up to date with worming?
eating normal amount?

I hate when you know something is up but nothing is abvious to show whats wrong.

Hopefuly just an off day.

Yeah everything else is fine, droppings as perfect as droppings can be lol. I've just bought her Autumn wormer and was going to do it tonight but because of this I'm leaving it until tomorrow because I was concerned that if she was colicking then the wormer might make her worse. I'll do it tomorrow if she's ok in the morning. It's just the ears back that's bothered me, in the nine months I've had her she's ever showed any sign of discomfort or unhappiness, it's just not Ruby. I wish she could talk, I really do.

Hopefully as the others have said it was just an off day. I always think that if we have them, horses can have them too.

Tyler has had these types of days before, where he just can't be bothered doing anything and it is as if he feels off. Usually drags his feet, very fatigued looking. I tend to leave him in field/stable and make sure he is as comfortable as he can be.

As you say, it would be so much easier if they could talk!!!

Think thats a wise decision re the wormer, won't hurt for a few days.

Wouldn't it be great if they could talk, lol, I am sure we would all hear
a few things we would rather not hear:p

Try not to worry too much, think you are doing everything you can
do at the moment:)

Aw thanks guys, just sharing my concern seems to help lol. I'm hope it's just an off day, we all have them! She just means so much to me, I'd never forgive myself if I overlooked something and didn't react in time.

newrider.com