Rude, aggressive teenagers - ignore, or don't tolerate?

Roseanne

Apr 27, 2003
Surrey
Visit site
Is it me, or do you take exception to the off-hand, rude way some teenagers talk to older people?

I'm so sick of being treated with disrespect by some young yard staff, who would actually be sacked on the spot if they worked in an office, or any other place of work, and they treated paying clients in the same dismissive, offensive manner.

I don't tolerate rudeness from my own, much older offspring, so why should I be expected to tolerate it from them?

No matter how sympathetic, co-operative, or understanding you try to be, as soon as they "get the hump", for want of a better word, watch out!

Grrrrhhhh!

Roseanne xxx

don't tolerate it. too many kids today *think* they know their rights and seem to think the world in general owes them respect. their parents have failed to teach them that respect is earned and that manners are vital. I see it day in, day out (am a secondary school teacher in training) and i do not tolerate rudeness, end of. even if it means i have to deviate from my lesson and give the class a lesson on manners and behaviour instead of teaching my subject. you are a paying client, you pay THEIR wages. they ought to remember that.

Report them to the yard manager or owner.
I am a NVQ student and at our yard our manager would not tolarate us being rude to clients or liveries!:)
I'm 17 and get on with older people so have never had a problem with any of the older clients tbh i get on with them better than the kids least when you ask them if they've put something away there yes means yes!!lol!!

But seriously i would report them its really out of order you're paying to have a lesson ect and your getting mouthing rude staff whatever the age they are still to do with the establishment!!!

We're not all like that...promise:eek:

But I do agree that there are some teens who are a right pain in the backside. We have one girl (a livery) who likes to boss around not only the other liveries, but also the staff.
Personally I do think that they need a talking to if they are rude or disrespectful I think I would want someone to tell me to be more polite if I was rude to anybody

I wouldnt tolerate it, and I'd tell them.

That said, the teenagers on our yard are LOVELY, without exception. We have one young girl who is on her first horse after coming off ponies, and she is a complete sweetheart, very polite and friendly, and works really hard with her horse. There is another youngster who's been through the mill with her horse, and again, she is polite, friendly and really helpful, just a nice kid to have around. I don't have any problems with any of the teenagers on our yard, but if i did, I'd tell them to wind their little necks in !!

I find that quite annoying, it drives me insane if someone is rude or forgets manners.
Some teenagers give us a bad name so people think all teenagers are like that, + i asure you were all not that horrible ;) :)

Not only will I set a teen back if s/he happens to decide to mouth off to me, but I've been known to make grown men cry (my ex husband comes to mind)...my son might get mouthy with his stepdad, but with me, he's aware that my foot is always poised to boot him in the rear end if necessary, and he's informed his friends that I'm willing to go the extra mile. ;)

If it's a youngster that's being paid to provide a service, I'd suggest getting a hold of his/her boss IMMEDIATELY and get things set straight. If they can't be PAID to be nice, they should be shown the door.

gahr.

Definitely tell them!
It will sure shut them up once someone actually speaks back to them.
I hate younger people who reckon themselves, and I'm sixteen!
That makes me feel old, lol.
It's annoying that the rude ones tend to define teens when most of us are perfectly polite.
I personally get on really well with adults (I hope they'd say that anyway ;) )
Definitely let them know they don't rule the roost!
x

The kids on my yard are younger-under 11 bar one rude little mare, who got a thorough telling off the other day for leaving a mess when we'd just cleaned up.

I did absolutely go mad at one of the younger ones today, who was rude to her Mum in fornt of her little mate: I probably shouldn't have, as it's her Mum's job, but I was so gobsmacked, I just spouted out how rude she was and how she was spoilt having 2 ponies and ought to be stunningly grateful to her Mum, who mucks out while she rides!

Tell the YO: if ever a member of staff were rude to me, they'd get a straight forward mouthful! How stupid of them to risk the YO's business and reputation.:mad:

I actually find older people can be worse, no offense, but when I rode yesterday I had to put up with a very large aggressive lady telling me to f**** get on a bridleway (told her it was to look at the sign at the end) to which she told me I can't ride. I actually find teens strop but adults are aggressive

I would definitely say something. I can't abide rudeness or bad manners. Perhaps quietly take them to one side and just tell them how rude you found them and that if their attitude doesn't change you are going to take it further. You'll probably find it will have more effect if you deal with it on an individual basis. I think sometimes people get cocky and ruder if they are showing off to their mates or trying to appear big. And if they still persist in being horrible, then definitely report it to whoever. But at least you'll have given them a chance to get their act together.

The kids on my yard are younger-under 11 bar one rude little mare, who got a thorough telling off the other day for leaving a mess when we'd just cleaned up.

I did absolutely go mad at one of the younger ones today, who was rude to her Mum in fornt of her little mate: I probably shouldn't have, as it's her Mum's job, but I was so gobsmacked, I just spouted out how rude she was and how she was spoilt having 2 ponies and ought to be stunningly grateful to her Mum, who mucks out while she rides!

Tell the YO: if ever a member of staff were rude to me, they'd get a straight forward mouthful! How stupid of them to risk the YO's business and reputation.:mad:

:D Good for you. I can't stand spoilt, ungrateful brats and I bet her mum was probably pleased too.

I don't treat teenagers any differently than I would an older person and I haven't had any problems.

If anyone spoke to me in a way that was out of order I would say something but in a way that won't escalate it.

Something allong the lines of 'do you realise how you just sounded then? Have you had a bad day?' gives them the chance to apologise. If they don't and hold ground then I suggest that the either keep out out of my way or learn to be more cival.

I was bullied at school many moons ago and stood up for myself. Now I refuse to be treated badly by anyone. I'm a reactionary and don't start anything but I am a firm believer in nipping things in the bud at an early stage.

I think rudeness happens regardless of age and which side of the customer/staff divide you are on.

My daughter has worked at a couple of local livery/competition yards and I would be surprised if some of the clients would treat their dog how they treated the yard staff. I'm not saying this is the case with you, and if you feel that you are being treated badly you should address it.

You definatley should say something. Bad manners and rudeness shouldn't be tolerated whatever age.

I'm very lucky the yard owners daughter who is 14 is a wonderful girl. She's kind sweet and always on hand to help, her and the other teenagers on the yard always ask if I want to hack out with them (I'm 40) and they all love my horse and the last month he's been poorly they've all helped me with extra feeding and bringing him in if I'm at work. I love my yard and the kids make it even more fun to be there.

Tell the yard owner/manager.

Dont take it off them, Im only 18 but before i started working in offices etc i was a groom for a while at an eventers yard and i wouldnt have dreamed of talking to the clients in any sort of rude way, And no matter what yard ive been at ive always got along with the owners.
They need to be put in their place if you ask me (i dont mean by violence :eek:) i just mean they need to know that teachers may take it but in the real world people wont!

Echo that!

I have teenaged step-siblings too - and what may appear as "rude" (the grunts of the boys particularly) isn't deliberately so, they just don't articulate well :p

Fortunately I have friends from aged 12 to aged 55, and find them equally easy to get on with, but VERY different communication styles required :)

I don't tolerate rudeness in anyone but in defense of teenagers although I sometimes find them thoughtless they are seldom calculatingly rude. I wish I could say the same for some of their elders.

umm

depends on your area really, though i think im one of the horrible ones :p

forget their age, just treat everyone the same, if a teen-ager says something rude, try not to treat them differently to iif an adult had said it.

i feel rather insulted by some of this :mad: loool, that grumpy face is just like mine sometimes! :D

newrider.com