Rufus went to his first party!

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
Today I took the ginger coblet to his first ever hunter trials! He is 5yo, not done much except a bit of hunting in Ireland, but he is so willing to learn and a lovely sweet horse.

I was entered for the pairs which was only 2'6 as a nice schooling round as J took Cracker too. Then I did the 3ft individual as well. Pissing it down all day, I was soaked!! The 2'6 was teeny, we flew round it no bother. I asked J if I could lead, as Rufus is more settled in front, so I kicked on and off we went. Did our dressing fence perfect, absolute lovely round, gave me a proper adrenaline buzz!

Long wait for the 3ft and so walked the course. I'll just say after the first few fences it was a bloody big '3ft'!!! Anyway Rufus set off well, bit strong and little wiggly but good. 1 was an ascending spread, 2 a skinny log, 3 a double, 4 a step up and big drop down, 5 jump in and out of water. Came to fence 6 which was a fence with ditch in front and unluckily he slid on the mud 4 strides out and we flew out the left side of the fence :( So brought him back and represented and popped it lovely. Kicked on towards 7 which was a coffin, he jumped so big in that we were practically on top of the ditch so he had to bounce that, sat up for a stride to jump out the other side of the woods, then down 4 steps.

9 was some big tyres, and 10 a sunken round. Then good gallop down the field before jumping into the woods over 11 the sharks teeth. Problem was you jumped in and had to swing right to jump part B out, well Rufus again jumped massive in and we landed in a bush before I had a chance to turn lol!! So quick turn out the bush and push the last couple strides out. Then over 12 the palisade and canter through the woods. 13 was a big drop and onto 14 some more big tyres. 15 was an upright and 16 another sunken road. Then back into the woods for 17 a log pile on top of a mound. 18 was a step up, stride, tyres. Long canter to 18 at which point Rufus was a bit tired. Jumped 19 the massive table and kicked on to 20 the hedge which he flew like a pro! Final fence the boat for 21 and cantered on through the finish!

So an unlucky 20 pens due to the slide/run out, but I was over the moon anyway as couldn't believe what a star he was!Very mature ginger coblet! Anyway to top off the buzz the day gave me, we came 4th in the pairs and I came 7th in the 3ft!! Chuffed!!

Have a link to the pics from the 3ft, just keep clicking next. Off to Wellington on the 17th to do the pairs and 3ft there, which is a pretty beefy course too! Love the ginge!

http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=4321&Action=VF&id=8339615402&pcp=61&ppwd=go

newrider.com