Rug Help Please - for older horse who got trapped.

Frances144

Remember me?
Dec 21, 2011
Shetland, UK
www.myshetland.co.uk
My horse, Haakon, is 27 now and is retired. He prefers living out 24/7.

Last winter he lost weight and when it was nasty weather, I rugged him. He managed pretty well with this but the last time he obviously lay down and then, while getting up again, got his back legs through the wrong bit of the crossed belly bands. I think he stood for a long time with the straps being very tight around his back legs. This is the not the first time.

I released the straps and prayed that he had not hurt himself (luckily not) and am now wondering what to do as winter is fast approaching. His lightweight rain sheet has fillet strings on each leg and crossed belly straps (the problem). The wind here makes it impossible for a rug to stay on without these straps. I was always taught they should not be done up tightly but not obviously waving about loosely.

I want a new totally waterproof lightweight no fill rug that has some clever mechanism (that I don't know about yet) for old horses who are determined to put their legs through the straps. I wouldn't have minded if they had broken (preferred not to rip the rug, though) but they didn't. Is there anything out there that we could use?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Failing that, I will stable him with a friend when the weather is vile which he will hate and resent.

Some sort of attachment with plaiting bands? So instead of the straps attaching metal clip to metal clip they attach to a band and then the clip. You might have to experiment with bands and how many needed to snap easily but not with general use.

Gosh I hope someone can suggest something. I fear this with Mattie too - it would be the death of him, and he has to be rugged well in winter. I fasten the belly straps as tightly as I dare to minimise the risk, but if there were an alternative it would be brilliant.

I was thinking along the same lines as @Doodle92 though I doubt plaiting bands would withstand your winds. How about trying to rig up something with velcro like the safety fastening on field safe headcollars? Or remove the cross surcingles and replace with an old fashioned roller?

Reactions: Frances144
I like the idea of the roller - I hadn't thought of that.

I also have looked at cat collars with quick release buckles on the belly straps and possibly leg straps and thought I could possibly use them so if he got stuck, he could just break them. The cat collars on Amazon are very cheap and small.

Try googling quick breaking string. There is none out there.

Reactions: carthorse
Isn't it odd, you would have thought someone would make such a useful thing. I wondered too about magnetic clasps? You can get all different powers of magnet

If you don't mind replacing it frequently then look at the gardening twine, that isn't usually very strong.

Yep, my first thoughts were rugs with belly flaps, or swapping the straps for wide elastic and velcro fastenings perhaps, so that that there is no gap to get a hoof through? Might take a bit of stitching to modify (fishing line works well) but for his safety and your peace of mind it would be worth the effort.

Thank you. I will phone them tomorrow.

not sure if belly wrap works without straps. The only ones detachable are the leg straps. Apart from that, this may be The Rug.

I wonder if it would hold with just the front strap and the back one replaced with a large piece of velcro that would give if he got caught up? The risk being that it wouldn't be strong enough to withstand rolling or the strong winds you get.

I wonder if you'd be better off buying a rug that fits and then getting the alterations made to turn it into what you want? I'm not sure how readily available the materials are to start from scratch. I suspect my local saddler could do the alterations you wanted if you took all the measurements and were very clear on what you wanted done, but we're a very long way from you! Do you know of any saddlers/tack shops that do rug repairs?

I wonder if you'd be better off buying a rug that fits and then getting the alterations made to turn it into what you want? I'm not sure how readily available the materials are to start from scratch. I suspect my local saddler could do the alterations you wanted if you took all the measurements and were very clear on what you wanted done, but we're a very long way from you! Do you know of any saddlers/tack shops that do rug repairs?
This is what I’d say too, I’m happy doing alterations to rugs but wouldn’t even try to make one from scratch, I’d definitely try and find someone local ish who can do alterations for you Frances.

Either a rug maker or someone who makes boat sails. I believe sail makers are very skilled and may even have appropriate machines.
Or you could try a seamstress.

newrider.com