Rug rubbing mane out... what shall I do?

Sexy Sietske

Aug 18, 2006
Derbyshire/nottinghamshire
Nelsons full neck rug is rubbing his mane out and think i should do something about it. Its not sore at all but he is rather itchy in that area, he lives out 24/7 so is always in the rug. This rug is doing him fine at the moment, I have a slightly heavier one (60g heavier) that I could swap him into which is also full neck to see if that helps but not sure he would boil :confused:

I have a lightweight/rainsheet but he will be too cold in this and I really cant afford another rug, shall I just except that my horse wont have mane when spring come round? :rolleyes:

i spray that counter mane and tail spray so it slides and hopefully doesnt do too much damage, my girls mane is just growing out after last year, so far spay stuff is working but only using a half neck.

How about folding back the neck piece and securing it with an elasticated surcingle, even if only every other day? I avoid the rugs with necks other than on the very nastiest days, although my horse is in at night,.

My Welsh D had the same problem last year and his mane was a complete disaster. This year, no full necks and it is growing back ....slowly, about half way there at the moment. there is a product that claims to help the hair grow back and also prevent it from happening again. Think its called Mega Tek Rebuilder..(?)

Last edited:
Get some foam/padding/whatever comes to hand and makes 2 rolls about fist thick, length of neck cover. Using a long needle, stitch the rolls on each side of 'centre' that way the neck covers' weight is taken directly off the top of the mane.
It is also good to cover the rolls in a satin type material.

This works for areas where the rug itself rubs the base of the mane.

Already made the decision not to have any full neck rugs for Galli!
Lucy is not allowed to wear them any more either ;) ....

I keep a running plait under neck rugs on HORRID days for Galli + a lyra vest. I also have a Snuggy Hood for each, but only use those for keeping clean before shows. Still, they are also an option for nasty weather!

I found that my horses mane was falling out because he was getting too hot not actually rubbing him.

Hoods underneath are great for keeping the mane.

Grease does tend to gather on the hoods underneath so if you keep that off, there should be less friction against the mane.

newrider.com