Rug Virgin Needs Help!

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Advice please from all you rug experts :)

I would like to get Arnie a no fill rain sheet type thing (is this the same as a lightweight turnout??) and don't know which to get.
For those who haven't seen the plethora of pics I have been posting in Matures he is a 14.1 super,super, super wide Highland with the shoulders of a Rhino on anabolic steroids :eek::D

I was wondering about a Masta with Gusset shoulders?

Any suggestions most welcome as would like to go shopping tommorrow :)

First off do you know what size he is hun?? Don't go on the average sizing guides whatever you do,according to them my lad is a 5'6",he is actually a 6'3":rolleyes:

I have a similar type build to Arnie as you know and I have found the amigo rugs to be a good fit around the chest and shoulder area,they are also nylon lined which I find better for wide types as move with them rather than pulling back over their broad shoulders,and flat wither.Saxon are also a reasonable fit.

The masta tri vent which is what I think you are on about?? They are good rugs but again be careful with size.The problem with these wide but not tall types is that although they need the room around the front,every where else get's swamped if the rug is too generous and deep (I now avoid premier equine like the plague for this reason,came down to my lads knees and past his hocks,although fitted well around the front).I had a masta for my clydie mare and was the only rug that fit her in a 6'9",everything else had to be a 7'0",so am guessing they are cut quite generous from this,but maybe they have changed the design by now??
This is another reason why I like the amigo,cut smaller than other rugs generally,but nice design around the chest and shoulder area.

On the lightweight thing,be a bit careful with this depending on when you want to use it?? They are summer turnouts for a reason,as they are designed to keep a horse dry,not warm.They flatten the coat,and stop them being properly 'insulated',so will actually make a horse feel colder than if they went without in low temps.I am using one now as it's still quite warm,but won't use one after end of this month or before if it get's very cold.Would be better and more effective to get one with a small amount of filling (can get ones as low as 40g),or even a mediumweight for really cold weather (my lad will wear a 200g rug from december onwards),They are designed to be breathable,so won't need to worry about over heating,unless it's really warm and sunny of course!!

If he's a good doer (I am guessing he is from his pics;)),and you are not clipping,maybe you could leave him without a rug at all??

Sorry for waffle,I have a bit of a rug obsession:eek:

I've very occasionally used a rambo on my highland and it fits ok, just a bit deeper on him than I'd like round his legs.

Echo devonlass though - do you need to rug? Mine is certainly happier unrugged and he doesn't even notice bad weather unless it doesn't stop raining for about 5 days. I give him a small bib and belly clip in the winter when he starts getting very sweaty with work and he happily lives out unrugged like that.

The other 2 have echoed my own thoughts and saved me a lot of typing :cool:

I'd go lightweight rather than no fill for winter if you have to rug.

I only have the no fill for Joy for when PL52 was starting to ride her in the warm autumn as Joy was a pain for rolling in wet mud in my other fields that had no running water. I didn;t rug at all last winter except for a couple of days of -6c as Joy was neck and belly clipped. She didn;t thank me for it though and I won;t be bothering again this year, the ungrateful moo bag :rolleyes:

Where I am now I'm not fussed about rugging for cleanliness as I can bring her in for a clean up and have hot water and a hose. Luxury indeed! :p

I also have a highland, Shian maybe is an ickle bit narrower in the chest than yours tho :p

She's the bay :)
newzealandpictures142.jpg

I use premier equine rugs, theyre great for wide hossies :)

www.premierequine.co.uk

Last edited:
I would always prefer not to rug if I could get away with it -- one less thing to go wrong! My native will be unrugged this year, as usual, but my QH melts in the rain so will be minimally rugged to keep him dry. He has overheated enough to colic in a 200g, when the temperature at night was still below freezing, so I'm extremely cautious now.

If you have horsey friends around, why not ask them to fetch rugs of different makes and sizes over so you can try them out -- otherwise it could get quite expensive!

newrider.com